Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2960369

Subject: "Joi (Organized Noize)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 05:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Joi (Organized Noize)"

Before receiving the advance of Joi Gilliam’s brilliant, but cancelled sophomore album Amoeba Cleansing Syndrome in 1996, I’d never heard of black rocker Betty Davis. “She never had a hit record, so a lot of people don’t know who she is,” explains Joi, who is currently on the road with D’Angelo and the Vanguard. “In her music, you can hear the passion and artistry as well as the complexity and discipline. But, most of all, there is also a sense of freedom.”

20 years ago, as Joi was mentally collecting ideas for her second album, that sense of musical freedom began swirling through her mind as well. “Prior to hearing her, the only people I felt kindred to in that way was Minnie Riperton, LaBelle and Sade, but Betty Davis was the missing link. Listening to her voice, I felt as though I’d been adopted, but now I had found my natural soul mama.”

Joi Ellen Gilliam was discovered in her native Nashville by producer/songwriter Dallas Austin in 1992. In Tennessee, her mother, Beverly, worked for the sheriff’s department and her father, Joe, was a former superstar NFL quarterback who eventually fell victim to drug addiction. Her parents divorced when she was seven or eight, but until the day he died in 2006, she was daddy’s little girl. “I used to ride with him in the car listening to Herbie Hancock’s Headhunters album,” Joi remembers, “but it was my mother who took me to a P-Funk concert when I was six; I guess she couldn’t find a babysitter.

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/08/joi-feature

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Joi (Organized Noize) [View all] , mackmike, Wed Mar-23-16 05:39 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Phife got me fucked up. This reads like an obit.
Mar 23rd 2016
RE: Phife got me fucked up. This reads like an obit.
Mar 23rd 2016
LOVE!
Mar 23rd 2016
"20 years of Joi and counting" docufilm - alljoieverything.com
Oct 15th 2016
love it...
Oct 15th 2016
Thanks for this!
Oct 16th 2016
      you're welcome
Oct 17th 2016
Woah!