Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2938679

Subject: "Can Never Say Goodbye to ‘Cooley High’" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Thu Jul-23-15 10:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can Never Say Goodbye to ‘Cooley High’"

Although I’m not sure what I expected, Cooley High was like nothing I’d seen in the movies prior as the camera followed the main characters Preach (Glynn Turman) and Cochise (Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs) as they cut school, shot dice, hung out, went to parties, met girls and explored other misadventures on the streets of sixties Chicago. Unlike most flicks made during the Blaxploitation era, Cooley High was down-to-earth and relatable in ways thatShaft, Super Fly and The Mack could never be, because it was predicated upon the premise of real people doing real things. “I wanted to make movies about us as real human beings, not stereotypes,” director Michael Schultz, who also directed Car Wash (1976) and Krush Groove (1985) among a handful of other films, says. Working closely with screenwriter Eric Monte, who based Cooley High on his own sweet and sour life growing up in the infamous Cabrini Green projects in the ‘60s, this was the first film project for both men. “Whether it was the gangster stereotype or the hooker stereotype, I wanted to get to the heart of who we are. That hadn’t quite been done on the silver screen.

http://www.soulhead.com/2015/07/23/can-never-say-goodbye-to-cooley-high-by-michael-a-gonzales/#more-31183

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Can Never Say Goodbye to ‘Cooley High’ [View all] , mackmike, Thu Jul-23-15 10:56 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
that's the movie
Jul 24th 2015
this movie brings tears to my eyes and i am gen X baby
Jul 24th 2015
one of my favorite films ever period
Jul 27th 2015

Lobby The Lesson topic #2938679 Previous topic | Next topic