Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2916019

Subject: "Live From the Writer's Bench - List 5 Albums That Define You" Previous topic | Next topic
Kil
Member since Oct 06th 2005
971 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 03:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Live From the Writer's Bench - List 5 Albums That Define You"

This week, me and the team are chopping it up about 5 albums that help define you. During our last show about what albums were better, during the Voodoo vs. Brown Sugar convo I said I have 5 albums downstairs in my living room that define who I am and Voodoo was one of 'em. The homie Anonymous then posted that we should do a show about that...the 5 albums that define us and that's what we have on tap this week. Now don't get it twisted, these aren't your 5 favorite albums but 5 albums that may have helped you listen to music different or albums that just spoke to you. It was a real dope show to hear cats picks but I'm curious to know what other cat's picks are and why. Mine are as follows:

http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2015/01/live-from-writers-bench-redefinition-5.html

Low End Theory because it was the first time I actually got into jazz. Even though my moms is a jazz musician and I grew up around. jam sessions, rehearsals and jazz heads I never looked at jazz as being "cool" until this album. And this is a great example that these don't have to be your favorite albums cause this isn't my favorite Tribe album.

Aquemini because this showed me that you could make "beautiful hip hop." Prior to this album everything had to be dirt, recorded at D&D or bust for me.

Voodoo because it was a musician's album and even though I'm not a "musician" growing up around my moms and her friends this album reminded me of those jam sessions they would have. This one of the first albums that as soon as I heard it I couldn't wait for my moms to hear it to see what she thought.

Lenny Kravitz's Mama Said because similar to Low End Theory this album opened my ears to more then just listening to hip hop and I always loved how this was an open love letter from Lenny to Lisa.

Slum's Fantastic Vol 2/Donuts because it's Dilla. I mean, I knew all about Dilla before Fantastic 2 but it was finally hearing all of the songs I'd heard in one complete package and Donuts because this dude was literally making beats on his death bed.

The Corner Radio Podcast Hosted by Kil
@Kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.com
www.soundcloud.com/kil889

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Live From the Writer's Bench - List 5 Albums That Define You [View all] , Kil, Sun Jan-11-15 03:34 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Live From the Writer's Bench - List 5 Albums That Define You
Jan 11th 2015
RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - List 5 Albums That Define You
Jan 12th 2015
princecagedillakad'
Jan 13th 2015
Brenda Russell
Jan 13th 2015
Yoooo...that's a dope as topic!
Jan 13th 2015
Great post man...props
Jan 14th 2015
Donuts! I've never heard the album but your experince with it...
Jan 15th 2015
I would be lying if I said Ive never done that but
Jan 15th 2015
Great selections
Jan 15th 2015
      Mind Control?
Jan 15th 2015
           RE: Mind Control?
Jan 15th 2015
Jan 14th 2015