Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2915830

Subject: "Should Rappers Not Speak On Politics, Or Kendrick and Respectability " Previous topic | Next topic
spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Should Rappers Not Speak On Politics, Or Kendrick and Respectability "
Fri Jan-09-15 02:12 PM by spirit

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6436268/kendrick-lamar-billboard-cover-story-on-new-album-iggy-azalea-police-violence-the-rapture?utm_source=twitter

The relevant passage:

Asked about the high-profile killings of African-Americans by police in 2014, from Ferguson, Mo., to Staten Island, he says, "I wish somebody would look in our neighborhood knowing that it's already a situation, mentally, where it's f---ked up. What happened to should've never happened. Never. But when we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us? It starts from within. Don't start with just a rally, don't start from looting -- it starts from within."

Another relevant passage:

Surprisingly for such a hyperliterate lyricist, Lamar is not much of a reader, saying that he mostly learns by talking to people from different walks of life.

___

1) WTF is a "hyperliterate lyricist"?
2) Should rappers be expected to speak on political matters with any higher level of insight than other occupations (plumbers, doctors, firefighters, etc)? No one ever interviews, say, a 9/11 firefighter and says "What's your opinion on Boko Haram?"

Saying all that to say, should journalists limit their rapper interview questions to music?

Absent someone making a political reference in their discography (which justifies follow-up questions), I don't really care about the political opinion of any modern rapper is on any given issue. Or veteran rapper, for that matter.

Now, if the rapper goes into political matters sua sponte, by all means, ask follow up questions.

3) I long for the day when respectability politics dies. Malcolm and Martin got shot wearing suits. Respectability doesn't have anything to do with being Black and getting murdered in America.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Should Rappers Not Speak On Politics, Or Kendrick and Respectability [View all] , spirit, Fri Jan-09-15 02:06 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Should Rappers Not Speak On Politics, Or Kendrick and Respectability...
Jan 09th 2015
Thanks for replying
Jan 09th 2015
      RE: Thanks for replying
Jan 09th 2015
Only when they are informed abt what they're speaking on
Jan 09th 2015
he can speak on it but his opinion shouldnt hold any more weight
Jan 09th 2015
You shouldn't speak your opinion on music any more
Jan 09th 2015
RE: he's entitled to his opinion, i just dont agree with him
Jan 09th 2015
This is what Kendrick said... (partial swipe)
Jan 09th 2015
there's a lot of babies being thrown out with the bathwater these days
Jan 09th 2015
Jan 09th 2015
Jan 09th 2015
Jan 09th 2015
I'd be shocked if he wasn't asked those questions.
Jan 10th 2015

Lobby The Lesson topic #2915830 Previous topic | Next topic