Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2901340

Subject: "y'all's woman Grimes gettin' all up in the twist lately" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13984 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 03:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"y'all's woman Grimes gettin' all up in the twist lately"

first it was wikipedia and drugs, now it's ALS controversies and fans not liking her new Roc Nation influenced (?) direction.

When an artist get's all gummed up in reacting to fans...........not good........nope.

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-anti-drug-tumblr-wikipedia-amphetamines/

Grimes Pens Anti-Drug Screed Calling Out Editors of Her Wikipedia Page
"Whoever keeps putting the few quotes i said early in my career about drugs back into my wikipedia page is an asshole," singer writes

by Colin Joyce

August 18 2014, 11:16 AM ET

In a 2012 interview with CMJ, Claire Boucher said that Visions, her debut album as Grimes, was made in the midst of an amphetamine-aided haze of sleep and food deprivation, but she doesn't want that to be her legacy. According to Stereogum, a quote from that interview has been added and removed from Grimes' Wikipedia page a number of times since August of 2013, but in a new Tumblr post, Boucher has disavowed hard drugs entirely.

Though she said at the time that she "blacked out the windows and did tons of amphetamines and stayed up for three weeks and didn't eat anything," she now says she wants people to know that she can't stand such substances.

"All they've ever done is kill my friends and cause me to be unproductive," she explains.

Noting that Wikipedia is "a website that people take seriously and reference all the time" she thinks it's "irresponsible" to edit it so that people think she still holds the drugs in high regard.

You can read her whole statement below. For more Grimes, read SPIN's 2012 Q&A with the singer-producer.

"losing people to drugs and alcohol is the worst because they destroy any good memories you have of them before forcing you to deal with the empty space they leave behind. also whoever keeps putting the few quotes i said early in my career about drugs back into my wikipedia page is an asshole. I don't want that to be part of my narrative, and if it has to be I want people to know that i hate hard drugs. All they've ever done is kill my friends and cause me to be unproductive. Editing a website that people take seriously and reference all the time so that it looks like i think amphetamines are cool is incredibly irresponsible, people might read that and think its a cool thing to emulate. I hope you know you are doing the world a disservice. I just watched another person I care deeply about basically turn into gollum and my heart is broken."

-----------

http://www.spin.com/articles/grimes-scraps-album-rihanna-go-fans-reaction-als/

Grimes Scrapped Her New Album Because Fans Didn't Like 'Go'
Negative response to her ALS protest also left her in tears
By Dan Reilly
September 12 2014, 12:04 PM ET
Any fans of Grimes know that she's a thoughtful, sensitive person. She's written well-reasoned screeds against drugs and sexism, and recently caught a good amount of crap for protesting the ALS Ice Bucket challenge on the grounds that the ALS Association tests on animals, not to mention that she didn't want to waste water during the California drought.

"All these people with AL.S were like, 'You're the worst person ever.' I was crying for days," she revealed in a New York Times Magazine profile. Naturally, her critics didn't seem to register the part where she donated to the Malala Fund, a charity that supports education for girls, instead. These days, that's par for the course when it comes to being a female celebrity with opinions, but Grimes seems like she just can't ignore the idiots out there.

Unfortunately, the negativity out there is also affecting the 26-year-old's music. A few months ago, she released "Go," a track she wrote for Rihanna that was ultimately rejected by the pop star. While many of us enjoyed it (for the record, SPIN included "Go" on our list of the 57 Best Songs of 2014 So Far), a vocal contingent of Grimes fans apparently let her know they weren't happy about this change in direction. "It upsets a lot of my fans, and I get why it upsets them. Everybody was like, 'Oh, Grimes is pandering to the radio,'" she said.
This reaction led Grimes to scrap her entire follow-up to the 2012 breakout, Visions.

"It sucked, so I threw it out and started again," she said. She seems happy with the decision, saying, "I'm just making way more music," and we hope it comes from a place of confidence instead of insecurity. Still, we have to wonder if signing to Jay Z's Roc Nation hasn't ramped up the pressure to deliver a grander sound now that she's experienced fame. Fingers crossed she makes the album she truly wants to make, and learns to tune out the bullshit.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

y'all's woman Grimes gettin' all up in the twist lately [View all] , c71, Fri Sep-12-14 03:21 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
You can't have it both ways man.
Sep 12th 2014
RE: You can't have it both ways man.
Sep 12th 2014
i just hope she never does a song like Go again
Sep 12th 2014
NY Times Magazine 9/12/14 article on Grimes link
Sep 13th 2014
Grimes "REALiTi" pop stuff off the "scrapped" 2014 album
Mar 09th 2015
REALiTi
Mar 16th 2015
Grimes after Grimes after Grimes after Grimes....I can't control the Gri...
Mar 14th 2015
Oblivion will forever be my shit, don't know anything else about her
Mar 16th 2015
Grimes once more............
Mar 16th 2015
wow, this is terrible
Mar 17th 2015
Shifty - low down gritty and GRIMYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
Aug 27th 2015
Grimes needs to not give anymore fucks.....
Aug 27th 2015
Rhinestone Grimes-girl
Sep 14th 2015
Grimes Names New Album ‘Art Angels,’ Posts Cover Art - Spin swipe
Oct 19th 2015
New Grimes live on stage
Oct 26th 2015
"Flesh without blood/Life in the vivid dream" video
Oct 26th 2015
Grimes - "scream"
Oct 30th 2015
Overture (link)
Nov 04th 2015
Watch Grimes rock a crowd
Nov 05th 2015
RE: This album.
Nov 08th 2015
RE: This album.
Nov 08th 2015
      RE: I hate it too.
Nov 08th 2015
           RE: I hate it too.
Nov 09th 2015
                RE: I think it's highlights are better than Visions' highlights.
Nov 09th 2015
Grimes: The Triumph of a Self-Made Oddball - Rolling Stone swipe
Nov 09th 2015
very dope.
Nov 13th 2015
"and just when you thought Grimes couldn't get better......."
Apr 12th 2016
Hana
Apr 18th 2016
      thanks. This post has been a journey
Apr 19th 2016
Grimes ain't going nowhere - Grimes can't be stopped, cause it's
Apr 20th 2016
Grimes - ology 1
Oct 06th 2016
Who can watch this much bad white girl dancing?
Oct 06th 2016

Lobby The Lesson topic #2901340 Previous topic | Next topic