Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2790626

Subject: "School me on some new music (Blues...)" Previous topic | Next topic
mdplayer
Member since Oct 27th 2004
111 posts
Tue Mar-26-13 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"School me on some new music (Blues...)"

I'm looking for some new music (basically been listening to hip hop since '89, with some Jazz mixed in in the last 5+ yrs) to listen to. Nothing in hip hop has really caught my attention outside of Killer Mike's and Macklemore's albums (with some POS mixed in) lately. Please don't bring up Kendrick Lamar - I love the few tracks without his weird voices, but the others are intolerable. That aside, I want to expand my musical horizons...

I recently got into Gil Scott Heron, and would like other recommendations for similar music. I like blues-y, jazzy, afro-music. Another artist I very recently got into is Ali Farka Toure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmdiS1ahlQ). I love his music, but would love it even more with more of a bassline. Also really dig this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAR6vLIMqEw

To summarize, I'm looking for slower, blues-y music with guitar (and/or piano) and bass. Also, I like music that has "emotion" to it.

I'm not Pro-Dope...just Anti-Wack

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

School me on some new music (Blues...) [View all] , mdplayer, Tue Mar-26-13 04:14 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
what you're talking about isn't 'blues' per se
Mar 27th 2013
RE: what you're talking about isn't 'blues' per se
Mar 27th 2013
Oscar Brown Jr.
Mar 27th 2013
^^^ in depth music discussion
Mar 27th 2013
      hey it took me just as long to type that
Mar 27th 2013
To my knowledge, Amiri Baraka did a few musical collabs with artist