Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2687130

Subject: "No probs" Previous topic | Next topic
tappenzee
Member since Sep 28th 2002
19839 posts
Tue Apr-17-12 03:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "No probs"
In response to In response to 1

I contend that if things continue at this rate, then there really will be only two types of musicians: the uber-mainstream and the hobbyists.

Before this decade of piracy, we had a swath of "middle class" musicians that had a fairly broad appeal, but as you said--were left of center and weren't ever going to be multi-platinum. This is the type of music I enjoyed. The Roots and their neo-soul bretheren, obviously, but also in other genres like boom bap hip hop and punk rock, both of which I ate up in my teen years.

Now those leftist type of acts are further and further getting marginalized and anyone with a spark of creativity that isn't in lock-step with the mainstream doesn't really have an outlet aside from playing as a hobby, and not everyone wants to work hard at their craft for beans and a few high fives.

I can't imagine how many great albums have never come to fruition because the motivation has been taken away.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Long read on digital file sharing/piracy (swipe) [View all] , tappenzee, Tue Apr-17-12 11:40 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks for sharing star.
Apr 17th 2012
      RE: No probs
Apr 17th 2012

Lobby The Lesson topic #2687130 Previous topic | Next topic