Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2685198

Subject: "Bill Adler speaking on early tension between Run & LL" Previous topic | Next topic
ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bill Adler speaking on early tension between Run & LL"

the changeing of the gaurd in hip hop has always been interesting to me wether it was Melle Mel/KRS or anyone else you have the elder statesman refusing to give up their crown even though a newer and fresher style is breathing down his neck.

This gives some great insight as to how things went down behind closed doors for 2 teamates playin on the same team

http://www.egotripland.com/def-jam-publicist-bill-adler-early-years/

How did Run and LL Cool J get along?

Bill Adler: You ever see the movie Downhill Racer? It’s with Robert Redford, and he’s a downhill racer at a very high level. And at the end of the movie he wins this tough race. And he’s crossed the finish line and he’s breathing heavily and he’s smiling and he’s accepting congratulations. And it looks like he’s won. But the very next guy coming down the hill is moving at a record pace. So Redford is interrupted in the middle of his so-called victory lap. He’s thinking: this motherfucker might beat me. And he turns around and the next guy down the slopes is just about to beat him, but he trips and falls. And so Redford kind of breathes a sigh of relief, and goes on and takes his congratulations. That scene is a lot like what Run felt with LL. Run was Redford. LL was the next guy on the slopes. They were very competitive. And I think they had mixed feelings for each other. I think that LL admired Run a lot and looked up to him a lot. But also he was endlessly ambitious and was gonna do what he could to be king of the hill.

They used to battle in the office when we were at 1133 Broadway. This is in the middle of the day. These were both very kind of jumpy, high-energy guys. They called Run “Run” for a reason. He had that kind of energy. LL at 16 was jumping out of his skin. So the two of them in the same place at the same time – our little two-room office wasn’t big enough to hold the two of ’em. One day they started snapping on each other. And they went from room to room finishing each other’s snaps. It couldn’t be a two-line rap. If one of them came up with one line the next guy would come back with a rhyming insult to the first line. That’s how fast it was. And it was a game but it was pretty serious too. I don’t remember exactly how it ended. LL I think left the room and Run came over to me and said, “I don’t like that man.” But you could tell there was something in that. There was some recognition of young LL Cool J’s skills even in that statement. In the Def Jam book there’s a picture of a Rush/Def Jam basketball team at Madison Square Garden. They played a little game between halves, a charity basketball game. And you see LL standing next to Run. When we set up the picture they were separate. And then Run walked over to to LL and he said, “Let me stand next to my son”!

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Bill Adler speaking on early tension between Run & LL [View all] , ABROCK33, Thu Apr-12-12 03:58 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Almost sounds like some Kobe n Shaq
Apr 12th 2012
difference being Shaq was the better of the two from 96-05
Apr 12th 2012
i can see that
Apr 12th 2012
I NEVER knew DMC wasn't with Def Jam til 1-2 years ago
Apr 12th 2012
right logically u just associate them w DJ
Apr 12th 2012
plus they were under Rush Mangement as well
Apr 13th 2012
      80% of the game back in the day was under rush management
Apr 13th 2012
           RE: 80% of the game back in the day was under rush management
Apr 13th 2012
                EPMD?
Apr 13th 2012
                RE: 80% of the game back in the day was under rush management
Apr 14th 2012
Shit i never knew that
Apr 13th 2012
damn, i woulda lost that trivia question
Apr 13th 2012
Profile locked them up into a multi-album deal really early on
Apr 12th 2012
RE: Profile locked them up into a multi-album deal really early on
Apr 13th 2012
      and DJ Quik who was signed to Profile said that the money
Apr 13th 2012
EDIT:response to the wrong poster /I knew that... and had to pay for it....
Apr 13th 2012
      I would of been ready to firebomb that bar
Apr 13th 2012
      Wooooooooow!!! LMAO I woulda been hella mad
Apr 13th 2012

Lobby The Lesson topic #2685198 Previous topic | Next topic