Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2670192

Subject: "Paul McCartney gets his revenge...MJ's back catalog stolen from Sony!" Previous topic | Next topic
FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Paul McCartney gets his revenge...MJ's back catalog stolen from Sony!"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57390339-83/michael-jackson-back-catalog-stolen-in-sony-hack/

Sony's sad security song isn't finished yet.

Hackers have reportedly broken into the music label's servers and downloaded Michael Jackson's entire 50,000-track catalog, including many songs that have never been released, according to a report in Britain's Sunday Times (behind paywall). Sony purchased the catalog in 2010 from Jackson's estate for $250 million--billed as the biggest recording deal in history.

"Everything Sony purchased from the Michael Jackson estate was compromised," a source told the newspaper. "It caused them to check their systems and they found the breach. There was a degree of sophistication. Sony identified the weakness and plugged the gap."

Two men in the U.K. have been arrested and charged in the crime, according to The Guardian. They have reportedly been released on bail and are scheduled to stand trial in January 2012.

The intrusion, which netted collaborations with the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am and late Queen front man Freddie Mercury, was discovered weeks after the massive security breach on Sony's PlayStation Network last April. After a mysterious weeklong outage on the service, the company finally informed some 77 million customers that critical personal information, including names, addresses, e-mail addresses, birthdays, usernames, and passwords were obtained illegally obtained by an "unauthorized person."

The entertainment and electronics giant eventually issued an apology and said it would provide its customers with free identity theft protection services. But that breach was followed up a month later with hacks on Sony Music Japan and Sony Ericsson's online store. Last June, the LulzSec hacker group released what it described as 54MB of source code from the Sony Computer Entertainment Developer Network as well as internal network maps of Sony BMG.

There is no word on whether the songs illegally downloaded have made an appearance on the Internet. However, protecting unreleased songs from unauthorized debuts has become a special challenge in recent years.

Jaywonder...15...I know yall are holding out, what's good?

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Paul McCartney gets his revenge...MJ's back catalog stolen from Sony! [View all] , FromTheGo, Mon Mar-05-12 04:11 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
50,000 tracks?
Mar 05th 2012
Good!
Mar 05th 2012
RE: Uhm. . . wait a second:
Mar 05th 2012
$$$$
Mar 05th 2012
      RE: So the trial's already happened?
Mar 05th 2012
           not yet but the trial starts soon