Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2666053

Subject: "an act changing their name to differentiate a new period in their oeuvre..." Previous topic | Next topic
david bammer
Member since Jun 20th 2010
4467 posts
Wed Feb-22-12 06:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"an act changing their name to differentiate a new period in their oeuvre..."
Wed Feb-22-12 06:41 PM by david bammer

inspired by yasiin bey.
i really like this idea and more so the idea of artistic re-invention through the means of a new name and want to talk about it...

we all are accustomed to name changes like jay dee to j dilla or puff daddy to p diddy for frivolous or legal reasons...

but i want to talk about the concept of taking on a new moniker in music as to conclusively communicate to the audience that this is a new period and the re-invigorating effect it can have creatively and attention-wise.

they say that first impressions are very important because you only get to make them once.
and in music/movies or any facet of the entertainment industry that is definitely true for the act and the impression they make on their audience.
it's possible to alienate potential consumers with subtle sub-communications that make people not want to align with you and consume your art.
"okayplayery" as an adjective is one relevant example of this.

we all know about parliament/funkadelic being 2 seperate entities to allow different directions in their music or zev love x transformation into mf doom or acts like prince/madlib who released music under a pseudonym.
needless to say, a name "chnage" can be freeing creatively for an act with an already established reputation.
which leads me back to yasiin bey.

if "mos def" (an outdated reference to 90's nyc hiphop) was releasing an album tomorrow, i would likely not even download it.
yassin bey on the other hand?
well the court is still out on how DIFFERENT yassin bey is from "mos def", but i am definitely more interested in hearing what a yassin bey mp3 sounds like.
imo, it's an interesting evidencing of perception in a consumer.
but more so, i think it could be utilized fittingly by artists to differentiate "periods" in their music.
where as mos def (to go back tothe example utilized here) represented 90's nyc hiphop, yassin bey could represent an allegance and a direction that is entirely different.
i think this is interesting and intriguing and i would think it's especially relevant to the internet age of music.
i'd love to see this become more common place if utilized appropriately.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

an act changing their name to differentiate a new period in their oeuvre... [View all] , david bammer, Wed Feb-22-12 06:40 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
related... the implications of doing this
Feb 22nd 2012
RE: Feels pretty gimmicky to me.
Feb 22nd 2012
that too...
Feb 22nd 2012
      RE: that too...
Feb 22nd 2012
           RE: But you used Mos Def as your example.
Feb 23rd 2012
                i really disagree re: mos def...
Feb 23rd 2012
                     RE: But he's still rapping over loops.
Sep 23rd 2012
happens all the time in Dance Music...
Feb 22nd 2012
Jefferson Airplane ---> Jefferson Starship
Feb 22nd 2012
See....
Feb 23rd 2012
      LMAO!
Feb 23rd 2012
jay dee is considered a different sound/artist than jay dilla
Feb 22nd 2012
meant to say j dilla NOT jay dilla...
Feb 23rd 2012
yeah that definitely counts
Feb 23rd 2012
Jay Dee was better
Sep 23rd 2012
How long did Mike Bigga last for Killa Mike?
Feb 22nd 2012
maybe a month; Chip tha Ripper recently became King Chip for some reason
Sep 23rd 2012
O(+>
Feb 23rd 2012
2 chainz, makaveli the don...
Sep 23rd 2012

Lobby The Lesson topic #2666053 Previous topic | Next topic