Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2976186

Subject: "RE: What is the logic behind signing with a popular but low output label..." Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15322 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: What is the logic behind signing with a popular but low output label..."
In response to In response to 0

With Aftermath, you have to look at it like this:

• The Game has had a 10+ year career of relevance, despite rarely being "relevant" the way he was in 2005.

• Eminem is the best-selling rapper of all-time and is proof that Dre will work with talent outside his comfort zone if he thinks interesting music can come of it.

• 50 Cent is still a name that comes out people's mouths despite being irrelevant musically for over five years now.

• Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine are incredibly experienced music professionals who are likely enlightening to speak with regularly and work with in the studio, even if nothing comes of it.

With GOOD, you have to look at it like this:

• Kanye West has never been the most commercially successful rapper but he has been the most talked about artist practically since his debut.

• Kanye gave a guy like Pusha T not only a platform to continue his career as a solo artist, but also made him the president of the company.

• The GOOD in-house production team is among the best in the business, and frequently works with the Mike Will / Southside houses as well, making for the label most likely to produce a hit record in 2016.

• GOOD Music is the closest thing to Jet Life with a major label backing; artists appear to have free will so long as they intermittently contribute to the next Kanye record.

Both of those things sound appealing as a professional, so long as the money works out that you're getting paid rather than paying to do the work; I think this might be another reason people are eager to sign with these two labels, but I'd be curious to research it.

I also think there are stories like Bishop Lamont's, where he spent a lot of time with a spotlight on him despite rarely releasing full projects, had a ton of exposure to the industry and what it's like working with great talent, and then left amicably with (hopefully) several cashed paychecks and a wealth of knowledge he can pivot to a more sustainable career with like A&Ring, label management, etc. (I know he's currently still making music but I think barring a great stroke of luck the dude is aware he's more valuable as a guide to younger artists than a rapper at this point).

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

What is the logic behind signing with a popular but low output label lik... [View all] , normal35762, Mon Oct-24-16 08:16 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
You work towards a dream all your life
Oct 24th 2016
Yep, and with Jon & Cy....
Oct 24th 2016
      Oh yeah ghostwriting. Yep yep.
Oct 25th 2016
RE: What is the logic behind signing with a popular but low output label...
Oct 25th 2016
hot and happening boutique labels are always sexy for the phyrimid
Oct 25th 2016
They sign artists just to...
Oct 25th 2016

Lobby The Lesson topic #2976186 Previous topic | Next topic