Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2897904

Subject: "Good read BUT..." Previous topic | Next topic
Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 09:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Good read BUT..."
In response to In response to 0
Fri Aug-22-14 09:02 PM by Jakob Hellberg

I for one can't disassociate this album from that era and Trip-Hop as a form of "PC" Hip-Hop for people with then new and interesting jobs like web designers and trendy noodle-bars muzak. In USA, I guess this was more underground and FAR less successful than "regular" Hip.Hop but amongst 90's hipsters in sweden, that was SO not the case.

For example, I remember this dude I went to highschool with who was all about detroit-techno and house and he used to refer to Hip-Hop as "pek-neger" music (=ignorant swedish term for Hip-Hop; the rappers are black and they are "pointing" with their hands). Fast forward a year or two and he was spinning Trip-hop and Mo'wax and Ninja Tune in "cool" bars but bring up Gang Starr or Wu-Tang or DITC or whoever and it was still "ignorant macho music" to him whereas Portishead and their colleagues approach to Hip-Hop beats were correct and non-offensive.

Anyway, I liked this album for a few weeks in 95 but the general vibe and aesthetic it set off kind of pissed me off after a while; it's perfectly possible-even likely-that my view is clouded by non-musical circumstances but at the same time, music does not exist in a vacuum and the vibe/aesthetic/whatever that "Dummy" represents to me (=90's anglophile hipster muzak) is not one I'm interested in revisiting. At all. Maybe a decade from now...

That being said, USA wasn't really anglophilic and obsessed with the latest british hype like that then so I can see why people hear it differently; to *me*, this is a time-period relic best forgotten, like Huey Lewis&the News or Eurythmics or Poison in the 80's...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Dummy Turns 20 (link) [View all] , Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri Aug-22-14 01:19 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
good read
Aug 22nd 2014
^^^ignore post above
Aug 22nd 2014
Now I realize why I love/hate Tom Breihan
Aug 22nd 2014
One of my favorite albums of all time
Aug 23rd 2014
FOH
Aug 23rd 2014

Lobby The Lesson topic #2897904 Previous topic | Next topic