Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2886286

Subject: "kind of a separate topic though" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri May-23-14 10:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "kind of a separate topic though"
In response to In response to 10

>we always knew beyonce would go solo.
>we always knew somebody from new edition would go solo.
>
>but i can't even imagine U2 breaking up.
>i can't imagine Radiohead breaking up.

to begin thom did go solo and released atoms of peace last year so there's that.

BUT

the difference you're trying to highlight deals with talent and image. despite whatever may be thought about them (U2 included you guys) U2 and Radiohead broke because of their talent. Detiny's Child and New Edition broke because of their image. Despite the talent in NE, they were still an image driven group. It just so happened at the time the media was so transparent you couldn't just ride completely on image. I won't comment on Destiny's Child but I'm sure someone would parallel (*tries not to roll eyes*).

They also weren't bands and conversely you probably couldn't name ten bands on their level (not even U2 or Radiohead's, no snark) in the total years the two of them were active (obvious hyperbole because you know NE is old as shit).

Now the thing is that this goes into the history of the industry and its relationship to race music. At first race music was music to be sold to black folk, and so the industry took it as it was and made their cut. But then they realized the race music could cross racial lines which is where the money was. But to do that it had to be presented in away that either subverted conservative white sensibilities or appealed to them (including the white folk on the cover trick).

Of course there's a lot of history of race music between those days and NE, including the segregation of it vis a vis the pop declaration which for black artists meant safe for white consumption, while the race music called soul or r&b was for the niggers and nigger lovers. The prestenation of that music was always as such. Always image based because its value was always in relationship to its broader reception by the white music buying public.

This also plays into this conversation because the jizz music of the race was always to be kept at a distance. It's meant for the degenerative minds of negritude, but there was always something about the way them monkeys moved that despite the better breeding even the most whitest of white sometimes wanted to move to. And so it was brought across the waters in a fashion not just image wise but musically acceptable too. So there's a paling of the race music. Initially success is measured externally but eventually it even flows back internally.

See my cool jazz post. Related as well.

>i don't get why black kids don't make music TOGETHER.
>there must be a reason this don't happen the way it did.
>i mean, churches still have kids on drums and keys.
>
>but they don't jam outside of rehearsal.

That's not true. I know a few young players on the scene that started in the church. But the church in and of itself is going out of favor. Or rather the small church is. Megachurches I imagine don't have the same musical impact on the community.

>not playing music instruments might be a part of it.
>but i want to know why the kids aren't making whatever music
>they are making together anymore.

Because they have all the tools they need to make any music they want on their own. They don't *have* to do it with others anymore. This is also a function of the success metric. If they work on it as a group they have to divy everything up and share credits. If they can do it on their own they get all the credit even if they end up hiring a band later on.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

our golden eras were defined by musicians that can't exist anymore. [View all] , Joe Corn Mo, Fri May-23-14 06:36 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
you can say the same for Hip Hop too
May 23rd 2014
He did mention hip hop.
May 23rd 2014
      not in the sense I mentioned
May 23rd 2014
great post though not the direction i thought from the title
May 23rd 2014
RE: "the rise of the machines"
May 23rd 2014
      The Motown guys with their synthesizers didn't come up playing
May 23rd 2014
           i feel you, and that is probably a part of it...
May 23rd 2014

great post, one quibble...
May 23rd 2014
The only scenes that exist for B/black music in the US now
May 23rd 2014
i'm not convinced the problem is lack of instruments.
May 23rd 2014
      To my mind, the order goes like this:
May 23rd 2014
           true.
May 23rd 2014
It's such a combination of factors. I was born in 84, yet I can recall
May 23rd 2014
this is dope.
May 23rd 2014
      Oh it did for sure!
May 23rd 2014
           he seems like he'd be exactly like i picture him.
May 24th 2014
brilliant fucking post
May 23rd 2014
This is a great post man
May 23rd 2014

Lobby The Lesson topic #2886286 Previous topic | Next topic