Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2886286

Subject: "The only scenes that exist for B/black music in the US now" Previous topic | Next topic
Teknontheou
Charter member
32711 posts
Fri May-23-14 08:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "The only scenes that exist for B/black music in the US now"
In response to In response to 0

Are a highly secularized version of Gospel music, HBCU marching bands (I think - I went to a PWI, but a lot of my family went to HBCUs), the shriveled remnants of people drawn to the ashes of Neo-Soul types venues, mostly in major black enclaves (NYC, DC, Atlanta, etc.), and that's it.

To the overall question of why the quality isn't as good, that has to do with the lack on identifiable instrumentation in the music. It's really hard to pick out any instrument other than maybe a bassline in today's music.

In order for the music to keep going, kids have to hear particular instruments and be interested in learning that instrument. The kinds of kids who grow up to be talented, passionate musicians are ones who heard particular musicians and songs they wanted to emulate. In the past, a kid would hear a Louis Armstrong record and say "I want to play the trumpet", or hear Aretha playing piano and take their lesson that much more seriously.

But today's popular black music just sounds like a soup of sound (and not in any good kind of way).

I look at the popular music scene in a place like Brazil, or Cuba, where tragically poor kids in favelas and barrios still know guitar or cavaquinho or horns. Granted, Cuba is a special place because the Communists vigorously support music education, but the point is that because much of the popular music contains clear, identifiable instrumentation, kids want to emulate that, and their music scenes are still strong.

Wait, what are we talking about, again? This is my pet topic.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

our golden eras were defined by musicians that can't exist anymore. [View all] , Joe Corn Mo, Fri May-23-14 06:36 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
you can say the same for Hip Hop too
May 23rd 2014
He did mention hip hop.
May 23rd 2014
      not in the sense I mentioned
May 23rd 2014
great post though not the direction i thought from the title
May 23rd 2014
RE: "the rise of the machines"
May 23rd 2014
      The Motown guys with their synthesizers didn't come up playing
May 23rd 2014
           i feel you, and that is probably a part of it...
May 23rd 2014
                kind of a separate topic though
May 23rd 2014
                     great post, one quibble...
May 23rd 2014
i'm not convinced the problem is lack of instruments.
May 23rd 2014
      To my mind, the order goes like this:
May 23rd 2014
           true.
May 23rd 2014
It's such a combination of factors. I was born in 84, yet I can recall
May 23rd 2014
this is dope.
May 23rd 2014
      Oh it did for sure!
May 23rd 2014
           he seems like he'd be exactly like i picture him.
May 24th 2014
brilliant fucking post
May 23rd 2014
This is a great post man
May 23rd 2014

Lobby The Lesson topic #2886286 Previous topic | Next topic