Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2866207

Subject: "Interesting" Previous topic | Next topic
A Sizzle
Member since Jul 28th 2008
1644 posts
Sat Jan-18-14 08:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Interesting"
In response to In response to 0

I think that over the past 5 to 10 years, specifically in popular R&B and Hip Hop, the music has so few elements that it doesn't warrant great mixing and engineering. So much of it has been a bass heavy kick, a clap and some synth notes.

You named 2004. The biggest hit that year was Usher's "Yeah" and the track sounds dense but there are only maybe 5-10 elements in the music. It seems like many songs after that had so few elements that I don't think it really warranted any type of creative engineering.

With downloading and listening to music on laptop speakers, it seems like quality engineering mattered a lot less. Its very apparent if you listen to mixtapes from the past 10 years. Freestyles sounding shitty is understandable, but even some of the original songs sounded like shit. Demos leaking unmixed kind of made it acceptable for a while. I don't think consumers cared for a while and just enjoyed they were getting free music from big artists.

http://www.mixcloud.com/adotsizzle/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

songs produced between 2000-2004 sounded like they cost money. [View all] , Joe Corn Mo, Sat Jan-18-14 06:56 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
which reminds me, whatever happened to snare drums?
Jan 18th 2014
The Good life - Faith Evans (2001)
Jan 18th 2014
the budgets are gone
Jan 19th 2014
Pro Tools has been around A LOT longer than people realize
Jan 19th 2014
RE: songs produced between 2000-2004 sounded like they cost money.
Jan 19th 2014
when you say 2 inch tape, do you mean like a reel to reel?
Jan 19th 2014
RE: when you say 2 inch tape, do you mean like a reel to reel?
Jan 19th 2014

Lobby The Lesson topic #2866207 Previous topic | Next topic