Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2864211

Subject: "That's bullshit*" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Jan-05-14 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "That's bullshit*"
In response to In response to 6

*not complete bullshit but bear with me...

single song sales of popular songs are just what they were before iTunes - sales of singles. the percentage of single song sales that aren't singles is nowhere near enough to support the notion that individual song sales killed album sales.

in fact album sales didn't get killed. there was a ginormous bubble in the hey day of the industry which everyone swears was normal. shit wasn't normal, and it's never getting back to that so measuring up to that is absurd. but everyone wants to do it because once the profits go up it's horrendous for them to go down.

more to the point of the post you replied to though, bandcamp purchase of full releases for $5 vs. iTunes purchase of albums will be the metric that can potentially change the industry. i think they were counting them this year but it probably only counts if your release includes isrc codes which i'm guessing the majority of diy'ers don't have. if all of the sales from bandcamp were to be tallied... industry could have a problem.

bandcamp man. it's a crazy thing. i think i brought it up in another post somewhere. but you know how all these new innanet business with new models for blah blah get their big pr blitz when they get $XM in funding, then spend the year trying to figure out how to make money? Yeah well Bandcamp didn't have to do that. They making money, in this economy strictly by selling music direct to fans. Shit is pheomenal and something the industry simply cannot account for and I'm guessing adjust to.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Album Sales Dropped 8% In 2013 (link) [View all] , Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sat Jan-04-14 06:52 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
lots of artists already release albums with no promo
Jan 04th 2014
Hard to do when artists don't make albums worth buying
Jan 04th 2014
i wanted to make a poll radio edits vs. extended cuts
Jan 04th 2014
      extended cuts in a heartbeat!
Jan 05th 2014
not surprised...nowadays i buy more 5 $ stuff on bandcamp
Jan 05th 2014
In a nutshell, iTunes killed the album