Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2799988

Subject: "First decide belt/ direct" Previous topic | Next topic
cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "First decide belt/ direct"
In response to In response to 0

There's pluses and minuses to each. Belts need to be replaced, but direct drives have many more moving parts to keep in order. If you have a nicer cartridge, a belt will be a little quieter than a dd. If you want to DJ all that info is moot, and you'll need a dd.

Basically anything you're going to read about a sub $500 table is going to focus on the Music Hall MMF 2.2, the Rega RP1, and the Pro-Ject Debut. The Music Hall and the Pro-Ject both share a ton of parts, so there's not much difference there. They also both have a hum issue with certain cartridges, which isn't a big deal if you do your research beforehand. The Rega RP1 has its fans as well, I don't have any experience with it tho. You'd be googleing and reading the same stuff I am.

I have the Pro-Ject Debut III (mentioned earlier) with the USB upgrade. It's a nice table; Pro-Ject really strips down on extra features for the sake of offering sound quality. There's no automatic start or return, you change speeds by manually moving the belt, platter is only 10", and the tonearm doesn't have leads, but is wired all the way back to the platform (which is only a problem if you break one of the wires changing carts, which I found out the hard way). I'd say it's kind of like a car with a really nice engine, transmission and drivetrain with manual windows, no AC, and a cheap interior. You're getting better quality on the things that really matter at that pricepoint, but missing out on the luxury. They also recently revamped this table and don't make it anymore, but you can still buy it new for about $300.

The revamped Debut is the Debut Carbon. The main difference is a carbon tonearm, a significantly better cart, and a 12" platter. This table costs $100 more than the Debut III, and is worth every penny. It also puts it much closer to the Rega and Music Hall tables in terms of price. I like my Debut III enough to be jealous of the upgrades made in the new Debut Carbon, and have no problem recommending the table. It probably has the best cart and tone arm out of the 3, and is a really nice table right out of the box.

I also really recommend doing your shopping with the Needle Doctor: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntables
Their prices are competitive and their customer service is amazing. You can do things like order a turntable with a upgraded cart and they'll mount it for you and answer questions for you all day long.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Vinyl heads, I need tips on purchasing a new record player/turntable [View all] , Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Apr-25-13 10:15 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I like stanton direct drives
Apr 25th 2013
RE: I like stanton direct drives
Apr 25th 2013
It's the cartridge you worry about. The turntable is secondary.
Apr 25th 2013
RE: It's the cartridge you worry about. The turntable is secondary.
Apr 25th 2013
      At that price range, I'd figure out how many features I want from...
Apr 25th 2013
           I should say that a lot of factory-installed cartridges are pretty good.
Apr 25th 2013
some brand names you can look into:
Apr 25th 2013
Just Buy A Used Technics 1200
Apr 25th 2013
Agreed...really there's nothing that comes close
Apr 25th 2013
      The og didn't say he was djing though
Apr 25th 2013
           Technics (Matsushita) is defunct? Shit.
Apr 25th 2013
For listening, you have a lot of choices
Apr 25th 2013
RE: belt drives
Apr 25th 2013
      Right, which was the point I was making n/m
Apr 25th 2013
      RE: belt drives
Apr 25th 2013
Used Gemini XL500 mkII
Apr 25th 2013
RE: If you're going for fidelity, do not. . .
Apr 25th 2013
why?
Oct 06th 2013
      RE: Well, there are different thoughts on this. . .
Oct 07th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2799988 Previous topic | Next topic