Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2781381

Subject: "Off the Wall isn't a disco album." Previous topic | Next topic
AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Feb-25-13 06:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Off the Wall isn't a disco album."
In response to In response to 0
Mon Feb-25-13 07:18 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

People like to say it is a disco album (I remember saying it myself once or twice over the years) but it isn't. The reason that people started referring to Off the Wall as a disco album was mostly about trying to redeem disco.

Remember that until like 10 years ago, disco mostly still sucked... even for a lot of Black people. It was something everybody was still embarrassed about and tried to distance themselves from. Nile Rodgers, Janice Marie Johnson and all those other people you saw on that Unsung proudly repping disco? Ten years ago, all of them were denying ever being disco artists, claiming they didn't know what disco was, that it was a label slapped on them while they were just making their regular rock/jazz/R&B etc.

Conventional wisdom amongst a lot of people was that apart from maybe Donna Summer, nobody whose career started in disco survived into the next decade... which proves they were manufactured/talentless/wack etc*... But OTW was used as a defense against that argument.

Ten years ago, calling Off the Wall "disco" was almost a revolutionary act... Because everybody loves Off the Wall. So if you're saying disco sucks... well, you like OTW, don't you? So maybe disco doesn't suck THAT much! (An alternate version of this argument was "Prince is a genius, right? Did you listen to his first two albums?")

OTW has got some disco-ish elements but even the track on there that's got the word "disco" in it was not straight disco in the conventional sense. It's an R&B album made in an era in which R&B had not fully shaken off much of the glitter from the night before's disco... It would not fully shake it all off until 1984 or 85 anyway, which is why you get stuff like boogie, freestyle, electro, Hi-NRG coming out during that time (not to mention Italo.)

*Lately I've heard the same argument used to diss New Jack Swing

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Just watched "UNSUNG: Disco" and have three questions.... [View all] , -DJ R-Tistic-, Sun Feb-24-13 09:38 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
to this, I would say
Feb 24th 2013
RE: Just watched "UNSUNG: Disco" and have three questions....
Feb 24th 2013
The Whole "Disco Died" & "Disco Is Dead" Was Speculation...
Feb 24th 2013
Feb 24th 2013
i love the stuff that came out after the disco backlash
Feb 24th 2013
      yeah i mean War, Fatback still did there thing
Feb 25th 2013
5/10 songs are Disco.
Feb 25th 2013
I'd say 'Get On the Floor' and 'Burn This Disco'
Feb 25th 2013
off the wall is and a hybrid
Feb 25th 2013
RE: Off the Wall isn't a disco album.
Feb 25th 2013
Yeah, like others have said, disco didn't really die...
Feb 25th 2013
Feb 25th 2013
wat.
Feb 25th 2013
      John No Legend did a sideways take on My cherie amour
Feb 25th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2781381 Previous topic | Next topic