Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2781381

Subject: "Just watched "UNSUNG: Disco" and have three questions...." Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 09:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Just watched "UNSUNG: Disco" and have three questions...."

1. How could one rally, the "Disco is dead" one, really kill an entire genre that had been that dominant? I can tell that it was overexposed, and was possibly going to die out eventually in some way...but how could that one rally, especially before the social media era, cause such a major backlash against the genre to where club owners became ashamed to say they owned a Disco club? And was it just propaganda for them to show that two months after the rally, none of the top ten hits were Disco, while before it, it was like 10/10 of the hits were Disco?

2. Michael Jackson "Off the wall" came out in August of 1979, which was like a month after this rally. Was it successful because the music was like the best of the best Disco possible for the time, to the extent that it wasn't even classified as Disco? And with many of us feeling it was a better album than "Thriller"...do you feel that this album's timing, coming right when Disco was at it's decline, may be a reason to why it wasn't accepted as much as Thriller?

3. I've heard people say "Disco killed Funk" but how was this the case? Is this in reference to the earlier Funk that was more acoustic, maybe from the James Brown era more so than George Clinton and Parliament? It feels as if one half of the main Funk hits I know of (Flashlight, etc) came around the middle and end of Disco, while the other half and even the majority of Funk classics I'm familiar with came in the early 80's, right after Disco ended..such as More bounce to the ounce, Atomic Dog, and Cutie Pie.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Just watched "UNSUNG: Disco" and have three questions.... [View all] , -DJ R-Tistic-, Sun Feb-24-13 09:38 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
to this, I would say
Feb 24th 2013
RE: Just watched "UNSUNG: Disco" and have three questions....
Feb 24th 2013
The Whole "Disco Died" & "Disco Is Dead" Was Speculation...
Feb 24th 2013
Feb 24th 2013
i love the stuff that came out after the disco backlash
Feb 24th 2013
      yeah i mean War, Fatback still did there thing
Feb 25th 2013
Off the Wall isn't a disco album.
Feb 25th 2013
5/10 songs are Disco.
Feb 25th 2013
I'd say 'Get On the Floor' and 'Burn This Disco'
Feb 25th 2013
off the wall is and a hybrid
Feb 25th 2013
RE: Off the Wall isn't a disco album.
Feb 25th 2013
Yeah, like others have said, disco didn't really die...
Feb 25th 2013
Feb 25th 2013
wat.
Feb 25th 2013
      John No Legend did a sideways take on My cherie amour
Feb 25th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2781381 Previous topic | Next topic