Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2745956

Subject: "RE: i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it" Previous topic | Next topic
howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Oct-06-12 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it"
In response to In response to 8

i'm not saying musicians will cease to exist, but in the past a band or artist's hard work usually resulted in record sales. maybe making money wasn't the goal, but at least sales could sustain you along with touring and whatever else. now it's almost a given that your "fans" won't buy your music. you have to tour longer and harder (not a great life for most) and compromise your integrity (arguably) with corporate tie-ins to cover the lost ground from (relatively) guilt-free piracy. you could argue that the tradeoff is more/better exposure than ever before in the internet age, but if you're still making significantly less money than you would have or were in the pre-piracy era, it can be difficult to get all hippie about "doing it for the love" when you can't make ends meet thanks to your own fans. a lot of that good feeling goes out the window when faced with that reality. meanwhile here is another major label puppet of the moment or some internet sensation you won't remember next year but will be ubiquitous for a moment and sell a million singles before fading away. anyway, i think about these things and wish things were different even though they will probably just get worse.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

NY Mag feature on Grizzly Bear & making a living making music [View all] , The DC Sniper, Fri Oct-05-12 02:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
fantastic read
Oct 05th 2012
cross-post
Oct 05th 2012
      to my last quote
Oct 05th 2012
           $40 is middle ground here
Oct 05th 2012
                i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it
Oct 05th 2012
                     RE: i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it
Oct 05th 2012
                          RE: i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it
Oct 06th 2012

maybe you're right.
Oct 06th 2012
                                    RE: maybe you're right.
Oct 06th 2012
                                         effective today
Feb 25th 2013
                                              this shit is disgusting, imo
Feb 25th 2013
                                                   This is going to be a nightmare
Feb 26th 2013

Oct 16th 2012
nice read. i find it surprising that they're poor
Oct 05th 2012
Yea see I don't know that they really are
Oct 06th 2012
companion post
Feb 11th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2745956 Previous topic | Next topic