Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2719912

Subject: "why are we so literal about lyric interpretation?" Previous topic | Next topic
SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 12:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"why are we so literal about lyric interpretation?"

i'm blaming Hip-Hop. i've also previously blamed Folk-Pop and the rise of the singer-songwriter. i can also blame Soul, i'm sure.

these days it seems too many of us music listeners are too literal when we hear and interpret lyrics. like w/this Frank Ocean thing. b/c he's indicated to us that he's gay (basically), i've heard and read too many ppl wonder if he's been singing and writing about men in all of his lyrics that deal w/romance or sex. as if he can't write a song from a perspective other than his own? whatever happened to that? why do we assume that all lyrics we hear are coming from the singer's perspective?

i just saw someone praising George Michael's Patience album as an example of how a gay act can sing songs that don't offend heterosexuals w/their heteronormative sensibility. i LOL'd. b/c, really, my ppl have been writing and singing songs like that since the beginning of writing and singing songs. LOL. i mean, really.

i also LOL @ this generally b/c as a gay dude i hear songs everyday all the time where dudes are singing about romancing/sexing chicks and ladies are pining for and grinding all over dudes and yet my sensibilities aren't offended. i can hear those songs w/o my head getting tied in knots. i can appreciate the songs and relate to them even though the genders don't match my experience. i LOL @ you ppl who fear you can't do the same when you hear a song by a gay act. it seems most ppl don't trip over this, which is why i feel fine mocking those of you who do.

but i guess maybe we're not always so literal, huh? b/c Rick Ross has a career after he was exposed as a former C.O. he's still rapping about getting rich off drug sales somehow. so there's some hope for us.

fuck you.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

why are we so literal about lyric interpretation? [View all] , SoWhat, Fri Jul-13-12 12:09 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
It's two arguments really.
Jul 13th 2012
People are silly, that's why
Jul 13th 2012
I think its silly in general to point to lyrics as biographically tellin...
Jul 13th 2012
i saw that GM comment and was waiting for you... lol
Jul 13th 2012
I'm still bored by Frank and generally disinterested.
Jul 13th 2012
People like to be told what to think, rather than develop
Jul 13th 2012
i love it that art can have multiple interpretations.
Jul 13th 2012
The gay-thing is ridiculous...
Jul 13th 2012
but really it's kinda like dogs chasing vehicles so far.
Jul 13th 2012

Lobby The Lesson topic #2719912 Previous topic | Next topic