Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13496117

Subject: "NY Governor grants clemency to G. Dep" Previous topic | Next topic
shockvalue
Charter member
562 posts
Sun Dec-24-23 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NY Governor grants clemency to G. Dep"

I got a lot of respect for G. Dep for what he did. I’m glad he’s getting out now.

https://apnews.com/article/rapper-g-dep-murder-sentence-commuted-hochul-721a47976938ffff8513ac0222a80a0d

NEW YORK (AP) — Rapper Travell “G. Dep” Coleman, who walked into a New York police precinct in 2010 and admitted to committing a nearly two-decade-old cold case murder to clear his conscience, has been granted clemency by Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Now 49, Coleman has served 13 of a 15-year-to-life sentence. With his sentence being commuted by the Democratic governor, he will now be allowed to seek parole earlier than his original 2025 date.

Coleman is one of 16 individuals granted clemency by Hochul in an announcement made Friday. They include 12 pardons and four commutations. It marked the third time Hochul has granted clemency in 2023.

“Through the clemency process, it is my solemn responsibility as governor to recognize the efforts individuals have made to improve their lives and show that redemption is possible,” Hochul said in a written statement.

The rapper earned an associate’s degree while in prison and facilitated violence prevention and sobriety counseling programs, while also participating in a variety of educational and rehabilitative classes, according to Hochul’s office. His clemency application was supported by the prosecutor in the case and the judge who sentenced him.

--

Woe unto him who in this world courts not dishonor.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

NY Governor grants clemency to G. Dep [View all] , shockvalue, Sun Dec-24-23 03:38 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
The power of media
Dec 24th 2023
I had a cigarette for breakfast, just for beginners
Dec 24th 2023

Lobby General Discussion topic #13496117 Previous topic | Next topic