Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13462303

Subject: "My job hunt has me down ya'll." Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My job hunt has me down ya'll."

I've been at my current job for 6 years which is forever in tech.

For years peers have been telling me that I need to get out there and that I've outgrown the job.

I've complained about being there for years and I knew it was time to move on 4 years ago.

So, I dug in. I spent the past year working on my deck and website. I finally got it done. I started to really feel ok about things.

After this last week, I don't know how to feel any more or what to do besides working on my interview skills.

My hit rates are really good, for every 10 recruiters I respond to, I have on average 8 follow up screening calls and from there about 5 first round interviews.

I'm senior level and I'm looking go into principal level and that's two levels above me but doable with the right amount of finesse. In some cases, I've even targeted director level, but the chances for a hit are lower.

*deep inhale*

So, here are some of the highlight of whats happened over the past few months:

- I'm tapped for a director role. We go back and forth. I go through every round and things are looking strong. I'm given a test and I exceed expectation. I've not worked in this particular industry, but I have experience changing industry (not role) every few years. At the end of the interviews, weeks of indecision. I'm contacted to be told they are still thinking. Then I'm told that they don't want me for the director role, but a lower role (at the same pay I'm making now) with the idea that once I "show them that they didn't have anything to worry about" I would be upgraded to the role I was originally considered for. Nigga please.

- FAANG company #1 - interviewed, made it through all rounds. In the end, one of the mangers says "hey man, you should also apply to this other role I have on my team". Then, nothing. Then word that they don't want to move on. Ok, fine, the recruiter says "oh yeah, lets get on the phone and I can give you your feedback" - except everytime I email for feedback, they never respond. Nigga please.

- I make it through all rounds and the recruiter before the second to last round asks me if I'd be willing to take 10k less than my low end. I paused but then ultimately decided it wasn't a deal breaker. I get the job offer but instead of just making that 10k less amount a base, they wanted to give me a base that would have been 2% more than what I make now and make up the total sum by making total comp base + bonus. Nigga please.

- FAANG company #1 (again) - interviewed and had a hell of a rapport with the interviewer. I was rejected instantly with no feedback. Nigga please.

- FAANG company #2 - I was sweating this one because they are very exact in their interview process. I had to retool everything. They were tight lipped as fuck. Rejected within a week but told, "oh don't worry, most of the people here have interviewed several times before getting the job". Nigga please.

Ther are more stories, but I'm feeling beat. The only good part about this time is that I'm playing a different game. I'm not jumping at any ol' offer. I'm unsure about where I want to go next.

The hard part about this is not knowing where I'm making mistakes. I'm not stopping, I know what I want to work on and what I want to improve...still, there is a sense of uncertainty that I'm fixing one thing but potentially missing something else. No one and I mean NO ONE (employer, or interviewer) will ever tell you whats off.

I for real want to yoke up one of these interviewers to ask them point-blank, “The east coast ain’t got no love for Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg? The East Coast ain’t got no love for Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg and Death Row? Y’all don’t love us? Y’all don’t love us? Well, let it be known then! We know y’all East Coast! We know where the fuck we at! East Coast in the muthafucking house!”

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

My job hunt has me down ya'll. [View all] , double negative, Mon Jun-13-22 03:24 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
You need an HR friend...preferably in tech
Jun 13th 2022
Well played. In the end, the scenario smelled off
Jun 13th 2022
      Oh, I feel you...but I was going based on this...
Jun 14th 2022
From the VERY OUTSIDE looking in...it seems like....
Jun 13th 2022
not quite.
Jun 13th 2022
      RE: not quite.
Jun 13th 2022
           RE: not quite.
Jun 14th 2022
FAANG vs FAANG is the name of the game
Jun 13th 2022
Yep
Jun 13th 2022
Good luck fam.
Jun 14th 2022
RE: My job hunt has me down ya'll.
Jun 14th 2022
but you know what...I have that in mind and it's a good thing in a way
Jun 14th 2022
Why are you set on jumping 2+ levels?
Jun 14th 2022
I'm looking to match my current tasks and responsibilities
Jun 14th 2022
      If it was up to you? I think it is up to you.. lol
Jun 15th 2022
      Lets act like you know what I mean.
Jun 15th 2022
      Have you heard from the other 5 people you need in your corner?
Jun 15th 2022
           yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah
Jun 15th 2022
RE: My job hunt has me down ya'll.
Jun 14th 2022
I'm a dirty ass designer.
Jun 15th 2022
Word...We got front-end and back-end roles, but I feel you...
Jun 15th 2022
Y'all doing WFH?
Jun 15th 2022
      RE: Y'all doing WFH?
Jun 15th 2022

Lobby General Discussion topic #13462303 Previous topic | Next topic