Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13460494

Subject: "terrorist drives 3.5 hours to shoot up supermarket in Buffalo, NY (Swipe..." Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Sat May-14-22 05:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"terrorist drives 3.5 hours to shoot up supermarket in Buffalo, NY (Swipe..."

https://apnews.com/article/buffalo-supermarket-shooting-442c6d97a073f39f99d006dbba40f64b

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A gunman opened fire with a rifle Saturday at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, in what authorities called a “hate crime and racially motived violent extremism,” killing 10 people and wounding three others before being taken in custody, law enforcement officials said.

The suspect was identified as Payton Gendron of Conklin, about 200 miles southeast of Buffalo in New York state, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press. The officials were not permitted to speak publicly on the matter and did so on the condition of anonymity. The suspect was being questioned Saturday evening by the FBI, one of the officials said.

Officials said 11 of the victims are Black and two are white. The shooting happened in a predominantly Black neighborhood a few miles (kilometers) north of downtown Buffalo.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A gunman wearing military-style clothing and body armor opened fire with a rifle at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, killing at least 10 people before being taken into custody Saturday afternoon, law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

Details on the number of additional people shot at the Tops Friendly Market and their conditions weren’t immediately available. The two officials were not permitted to speak publicly on the matter and did so on the condition of anonymity. The suspect was being questioned Saturday evening by the FBI, one of the officials said.

Investigators believe the gunman may have been streaming the shooting through a camera affixed to his helmet, one of the officials said. The video showed the gunman, dressed in military gear, pulling up to the front of the store with a rifle on the front seat and then pointing the rifle at people in the parking lot as he exited the vehicle and opening fire, the official said.

It also shows the suspect walking into the supermarket and shooting several other victims inside, the official said. One of the victims was a recently retired police officer who was working as a security guard at the store, according to the official.

One of the officials cautioned the investigation was in its preliminary stages and that authorities hadn’t yet discerned a clear motive, but were investigating whether the shooting was racially motivated.

The supermarket is in a predominately Black neighborhood, about 3 miles (5 kilometers) north of downtown Buffalo. The surrounding area is primarily residential, with a Family Dollar store and fire station near the store.

Buffalo police confirmed the shooter was in custody in a tweet, but did not identify the suspect. Police officials did not immediately respond to messages from the AP seeking comment.

Witnesses reported the gunman was wearing military-style clothing in addition to the body armor, one of the officials said

Braedyn Kephart and Shane Hill, both 20, pulled into the parking lot just as the shooter was exiting. They described him as a white male in his late teens or early twenties sporting full camo, a black helmet and what appeared to be a rifle.

“He was standing there with the gun to his chin. We were like what the heck is going on? Why does this kid have a gun to his face?” Kephart said. He dropped to his knees. “He ripped off his helmet, dropped his gun, and was tackled by the police.”

At the White House, Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said President Joe Biden is receiving regular updates on the shooting and its aftermath.

“The president has been briefed by his Homeland Security advisor on the horrific shooting in Buffalo, N.Y., this afternoon. He will continue to receive updates throughout the evening and tomorrow as further information develops,” she said, adding the president and first lady were praying for the victims and their loved ones.

Tops Friendly Markets released a statement saying, “We are shocked and deeply saddened by this senseless act of violence and our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”

Police closed off the block, lined by spectators, and yellow police taped surrounded the full parking lot. Mayor Byron Brown and Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz were at the scene late Saturday afternoon, gathered in a parking lot across the street from the Tops store and expected to address the media.

More than two hours of the shooting, Erica Pugh-Mathews was waiting outside the store, behind the police tape.

“We would like to know the status of my aunt, my mother’s sister. She was in there with her fiance, they separated and went to different aisles,” she said. “A bullet barely missed him. He was able to hide in a freezer but he was not able to get to my aunt and does not know where she is. We just would like word either way if she’s OK.”

Gov. Kathy Hochul tweeted that she was “closely monitoring the shooting at a grocery store in Buffalo,” her hometown. She said state officials have offered help to local authorities. The Erie County Sheriff’s Office said on social media that it ordered all available personnel to assist Buffalo police.

Attorney General Merrick Garland was briefed on the shooting, Justice Department spokesperson Anthony Coley said.

The shooting came little more than a year after a March 2021 attack at a King Soopers grocery in Boulder, Colorado, that killed 10 people. Investigators have not released any information about why they believe the man charged in that attack targeted the supermarket.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

terrorist drives 3.5 hours to shoot up supermarket in Buffalo, NY (Swipe... [View all] , Castro, Sat May-14-22 05:39 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: terrorist drives 3.5 hours to shoot up supermarket in Buffalo, NY (S...
May 14th 2022
Fox News, OANN, bitch ass Tucker radicalizing these devils
May 14th 2022
Scumbag lived in a nice house….
May 14th 2022
What will it take for these people to get punished?
May 14th 2022
Like dylan roof, he's trying to spark his peers. Those who want no more....
May 14th 2022
WHY DO WHITE SHOOTERS GET TAKEN INTO CUSTODY?!
May 15th 2022
YOU KNOW WHY
May 17th 2022
How the evil empire began
May 15th 2022
Gunman targeted black neighborhood shaped by segregation
May 15th 2022
This makes me so especially angry thinking about how much energy
May 15th 2022
They are so much better at branding. And their audience eats up
May 15th 2022
      Most of their audience is inbred low IQ hicks
May 15th 2022
      It's not that hard to convince people of shit they already
May 16th 2022
      It's not branding. It's stuff they want to hear and are inclined to bel...
May 16th 2022
           It takes branding to package those beliefs into an easily shared
May 16th 2022
           its most definitely branding
May 16th 2022
                I'm not saying they don't have brand or do branding, I am reacting to
May 16th 2022
                     Gotcha - definitely agree.
May 16th 2022
                     I almost agree with everything you are saying
May 16th 2022
                     the inability to be shamed is damn near a super power
May 16th 2022
                          the Biden "ultra MAGA" thing this week was depressingly hilarious
May 17th 2022
Now Orange County, CA
May 15th 2022
they know Fox, NewsMax, and OAN and Elon's Twitter are not going...
May 15th 2022
His manifesto hit the streets
May 15th 2022
CIA back to doing its thing.
May 16th 2022
huh?
May 16th 2022
      These shooters are probably being recruited and groomed online....
May 17th 2022
just saw all but one of the deceased were over 50 years old.
May 16th 2022
any white people die? Read a few assholes try to use a white victim
May 16th 2022
i believe 2 white people were killed.
May 16th 2022
and one of the dead was a security guard who exchanged gunfire, he was
May 16th 2022
not sure if true but i heard he hit him...
May 16th 2022
      He hit him but he had a plates
May 16th 2022
correction: all 10 of the deceased were black. this Ruth Whitfield story...
May 17th 2022
He had the word "nigger" painted on his gun...
May 16th 2022
HE HAD A MANIFESTO
May 16th 2022
man, we're talking about these people
May 16th 2022
      nevermind.
May 17th 2022
           yea its the fist thing it had reminded me of
May 17th 2022
                it fits with this situation as well because the will continue
May 17th 2022
Are there really people saying it's not racially motivated?
May 17th 2022
      its the internet so of course they exist.. smh
May 17th 2022
he intentionally attacked eldery people because he know younger folks...
May 17th 2022
This will keep happening cuz they are surviving it
May 17th 2022
A major reason for wanting to keep them alive
May 17th 2022
exactly.
May 17th 2022
Death is a release, I hope that Fool lives to be 102
May 17th 2022
      He already made his requirements for
May 17th 2022
He talked a lot of shit about this being his last day on Earth, too
May 17th 2022
      Nah
May 17th 2022
           Yeah, I have a hard time seeing how his family isn't complicit.
May 18th 2022
           A cousin is blaming covid and paranoia
May 18th 2022
                and killing older Black folk grocery shopping was the cure to his parano...
May 18th 2022
                     They throwing everything at the wall
May 18th 2022
                     i guess that's how Tucker and them spin this one into 'the left'
May 18th 2022
           Timmy is fine.. he’s just having fun
May 18th 2022
           Here's a NYT story about his parents...
May 18th 2022
                Damnnnnn
May 18th 2022
                I often wonder if giving your teenagers complete privacy is good or bad
May 18th 2022
                That’s what I was referring to above
May 18th 2022
My wife just told me that’s where her cousin shops
May 17th 2022
Maybe because I live a couple hours down the Thruway…
May 17th 2022
I've decided I would pop off if I ever saw him.
May 18th 2022
The timing of Yung Thug’s RICO indictment is interesting
May 18th 2022

Lobby General Discussion topic #13460494 Previous topic | Next topic