Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13459884

Subject: "Ended up going with the Checkpoint SL6. 1st ride this morning..LOVE!" Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu May-12-22 06:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "Ended up going with the Checkpoint SL6. 1st ride this morning..LOVE!"
In response to In response to 0
Thu May-12-22 06:06 AM by FLUIDJ

Hands down this feels like the best bike I've ever owned.
I flipflopped between the aluminum ALR 5 and then the SL 5 which is carbon... the groupset on the SL 5 was a little better and the storage bin in the frame of the carbon really won me over...i'm a sucker for gimmicky shit like that...although it's useful too...

Test rode the ALR 5 and came away on the fence and VERY unimpressed with the whole brake lever shifting setup. The ride also just felt uncomfortable. (I'm used to bar end shifters on my home-built cross bike and also used to thumb shifters on my e-bike. The brake lever shifters just felt sloppy and cumbersome and didn't inspire a lot of confidence...I was pushing the brakes while shifting, it was a 2X setup too, so the whole process was just....a lot.)
They were more focused on my complaint about comfort so he suggested I try a carbon frame Checkpoint...but all they had in stock in my size was the $8K+ SLR7... I gave dude the gasface off rip because I wasn't falling for the okiedoke upsell....but I caved and went ahead and rode it....
BLOWN AWAY!!!!! but it wasn't the carbon that won me over...it was the eTAP Shifters... I knew electronic shifting was a thing...but never understood the appeal... it made ALLLL the difference in the comfort and confidence level of the ride though.. I mean the carbon is definitely helpful...but the electronic shifting is the lick!

Fortunately they offer eTAP in the lower price point SL6 and they assured me the ride would be similar to the SLR7 just without the carbon wheelset and the RED version of the eTAP. Ended up having to go to a different Trek dealer to get my size and test a SL6. Sure enough...ride felt exactly the same with just a tad more weight since it doesn't have the carbon wheelset.

Off the shelf the bike was just under 20lbs...had the shop equip it for commuting for me...added fenders and a frame bag. I held off on the rear rack for now...still debating...i HATE to ruin the lines of this thing even more than I already have with the fenders lol...

Commute in this morning was only 1 minute slower than my normal commute on the eBike. This.Bike.Is.FAST! Fast AND more comfortable than my cargo eBike... I'm going to hate parting with the cargo bike...but I don't see getting much use out of it anymore. I'll probably miss it in the dead cold of winter and the extreme heat of summer though..

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

2022 pedal Bike Post (spring/summer edition) [View all] , FLUIDJ, Fri May-06-22 02:10 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Bruh, I feel singled-out by "pedal bike"
May 06th 2022
Lol. don’t feel bad I really wish I was making another motorcycle post...
May 06th 2022
moving to a city where i can actually ride a bike in july
May 06th 2022
did the 40-mile 5boro NYC bike tour
May 07th 2022
Dope. I don’t even like driving 40 miles. What kinda bike?
May 07th 2022
I was there as well
May 09th 2022
      i have a hybrid
May 11th 2022
I've been riding more as the weather's gotten better.
May 09th 2022
Not sure what bike/gear you're currently using...
May 09th 2022
      right now, just my two water bottles.
May 10th 2022
Too hot. Too hot. Too hot baby
May 09th 2022
They finally had decent weather for the TDBank 5Boro Bike Tour...
May 09th 2022
bought a hardtail MTB in the fall...aboutta hit trails again
May 10th 2022
What are the best rugged tires?
May 10th 2022
Thank you for that...I feel less guilty about the $$ i'm planning to spe...
May 10th 2022
      It involves traffic
May 10th 2022
           for the tires, try tubeless.
May 10th 2022

Lobby General Discussion topic #13459884 Previous topic | Next topic