Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13453113

Subject: "Censorship vs. Curation | Black Perspectives" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Fri Feb-04-22 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Censorship vs. Curation | Black Perspectives"

A while back, a female Chinese tennis player, Peng Shuai, was on the tour circuit and said she had being sexually assaulted by a high ranking member of the Communist Party.

Then she abruptly returned to China and 'disappeared'...no additional public statements, no news stories about her.

No one had seen or heard from her publicly for a while..folks feared the worst...when she reemerged, her story changed. She claimed not only that there was no abuse, but that she never even made those claims..that everyone was mistaken. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that she was threatened into silence, for fear of harm or death by the Chinese gov't. That's how they do things there. they 'disappear' people for far less.

That's censorship.

Roxane Gay makes a distinction in her latest essay about the difference between censorship and curation:

"When we are not free to express ourselves, when we can be thrown in jail or even lose our lives for speaking freely, that is censorship. When we say, as a society, that bigotry and misinformation are unacceptable, and that people who espouse those ideas don’t deserve access to significant platforms, that’s curation. We are expressing our taste and moral discernment, and saying what we find acceptable and what we do not."

you can read the full essay here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/opinion/culture/joe-rogan-spotify-roxane-gay.html

for a Black male perspective, you can read this one:
https://thegrio.com/2022/01/21/the-problem-with-joe-rogan-and-white-boys/

Argue amongst yourselves; I'm only here to drop knowledge

toodles,
d

"I don't speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on Earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody what's us to say, then we are wasting our time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Censorship vs. Curation | Black Perspectives [View all] , Damali, Fri Feb-04-22 11:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Been having this arugment on here (and elsewhere) for years
Feb 04th 2022
Are school boards & prisons Censoring or Curating?
Feb 04th 2022
tomato tomato
Feb 04th 2022
Yup. Free market censorship is still censorship
Feb 04th 2022

Lobby General Discussion topic #13453113 Previous topic | Next topic