Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13430644

Subject: "Talkin Cars: Finally found a suitable mini-van alternative (long)" Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 08:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talkin Cars: Finally found a suitable mini-van alternative (long)"

Spent a grip of time researching, watching youtube videos, checking out things in person and had narrowed my list down to the following, model years 2018 and newer:

Used Volvo XC90: It has 3 rows, nice array of features and bells and whistles and a lot of style. Ultimately decided against it after an in person evaluation. I didn't drive it, but checked it for space and capacity. Ultimately the 3rd row was too cramped to be marketed as anything more than a seat for a large dog. Yeah, kids would probably enjoy it for about an hour tops. I was really wowed by the tech that it offered (360 camera, collision avoidance, smart interface, voice commands, etc.).....until I got back home and did more research to discover that most, if not ALL, current crossovers offered that same tech in some shape form or fashion.

Used or New Nissan Armada: So...these are MASSIVE and really offer a TON of value...if you're looking for a MASSIVE SUV that can TOW a LOT. It also has luxury on lock once you get into the SL and higher trims. There are deals to be had on brand new 2019, 2020 models since the 2021 is a facelifted model. Ultimately what soured me on these is the fuel consumption. I'd still be into it as maybe a 2nd vehicle reserved for long road trips or camping....but I don't camp....I don't have a boat to tow....and I'm not really trying to be owning another SUV that's a gas guzzler, my VW Touareg does just fine at that job.... But damn if the Armada's aren't the best looking HUGE SUV's on the road right now... Nissan is on the come up....

Used or New Buick Enclave (2019+): I'm old enough to own a Buick now...so I went in.. Buick offers 4 trims, Base, Essence, Premier & Avenir. In the Essence and Premier, there are sub trims for appearance. I narrowed down to the Essence and Avenir, because I couldn't find any Premiers anywhere around here. Had one brought to the house for a test drive and everything. They offer a lot of trims that range from classy to sporty. I'd landed on a Sport Touring trim because it looks more like something someone my age and younger would drive. They are HUGE compared to every other crossover (Honda Pilot, Highlander, CX-9, XC90)...but only on the inside...on the exterior they don't seem to be much larger footprint. GM really landed on something good with that platform. The technology is TOP NOTCH and at 310hp, they can get it in on the road. Super quiet ride and really really REALLY top notch finishes on the interior. Maybe not quite Volvo levels...but that may just be my personal take because I haven't owned an American made vehicle since the Chevrolet Caviler I drove back in the 90's. The Enclave checked ALL the boxes.. The 3rd row comfortably fits an adult with room to spare AND cargo space to spare behind THAT. The middle row is not cramped at all even when the front seats are pushed back. Captains chairs are the bee knees. I really like how the Enclave handles and how it feels. Don't Sleep on Buicks! Also...active noise cancelation....that's a thing..and Buick has it in all their Enclaves.....but...so does Chevrolet...which leads me to...

Chevrolet Traverse: Ultimately...this won. It has everything the mid-tier Enclave has and more. The Sport Touring Essence Trim of the Enclave doesn't have 360 camera and several other things I'd consider to be essential to classify as a semi-luxury class vehicle (memory seats, auto folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, 360 camera, etc.). To get all of that and more in the Enclave...you gotta move up to the Premier or Avenir($$$).
So I checked and noted that the middle and upper tier Traverse offered almost ALL of the things the Enclave didn't and for several thousand lower price. So I had a couple brought to the house to test drive and I was instantly impressed. SAME driving experience as the Enclave. Same active noise canceling, nearly identical "plushness"... the dashboard of the Chevy isn't soft and cushioned, but I ain't sitting on that joint so who cares... In addition, the trim had ALL the features the Enclave didn't.
I think a mini-van might offer a smidge more stretch out space back in the 3rd row...a tad more capacity...but not worth the dent in my fragile car ego lol....but honestly...my wife was more against mini-van than I was lol..

So yeah... first brand new car I've purchased since 2001. The car buying experience is still pretty much the same...except it's easier to browse selection online now. I went through 3 different colors and trims before luckily finding the exact combination I really wanted at the absolute last minute. The dealer brought in their stock from Baltimore port Tuesday night and they finally had an all black redline trim with AWD in their inventory.

Ask me anything.
I learned some interesting info about the used car market along the way....it may sway your decision on whether to buy used or new. Also GM is offering some spectacular incentives right now...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Talkin Cars: Finally found a suitable mini-van alternative (long) [View all] , FLUIDJ, Thu Apr-22-21 08:04 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
ill take my pacifica hybrid over all those lol
Apr 22nd 2021
Man, Pacifica hybrid was top of my list of mini-vans...but just couldn't
Apr 22nd 2021
      wife said the same thing....i made her test drive it
Apr 22nd 2021
           lol...I ain't "making" my wife do shit....but I tried coaxing....
Apr 22nd 2021
                lol you know you cant "make" a woman do anything
Apr 22nd 2021
I will never buy an actual minivan
Apr 22nd 2021
Oh the Kia Carnival peeked my interest...but that name...and that PRICE
Apr 22nd 2021
      Rollin in MPVs
Apr 22nd 2021
what made the 3rd row so important for you?
Apr 22nd 2021
When the grandparents visit, or really any other guests....
Apr 22nd 2021
      makes sense
Apr 22nd 2021
one day, i will join the Minivan Mafia.
Apr 22nd 2021
best auto investment i ever made
Apr 22nd 2021
My wife is driving a mini-van now and wants out...
Apr 22nd 2021
Audi was out of the question off GP and my soured history with the brand
Apr 22nd 2021
my MIL has the 3 row Lexus and my SIL has the Chrylser Pacific
Apr 22nd 2021
i keep telling people about the traverse
Apr 22nd 2021
I think I read that it did have more cargo space than Tahoe somehow...
Apr 22nd 2021
      front bench seats are pretty cool
Apr 22nd 2021
I will never understand the aversion to vans
Apr 22nd 2021
I think...THINK... a big part of it for women is the whole way they've b...
Apr 22nd 2021
that carnival looks nice
Apr 22nd 2021
a minivan is also a “hey, cam you take the team to practice” vehicle
Apr 22nd 2021
      What's wild is that vans USED to be the ultimate dude car..
Apr 22nd 2021
      yup, as a kid i used to drool over a fire conversion van.
Apr 22nd 2021
      In reality, it's been over. Van-life is just accepting it and moving on.
Apr 22nd 2021
           its not over - Guy
Apr 23rd 2021
They just aren't fun to drive at all. When I drive my wife's it
Apr 22nd 2021
lmao at telling the kids to hold on
Apr 23rd 2021
Hated driving our Town & Country, but the Pacifica? Sheeiiit
Apr 23rd 2021
I can see them not being fun, but man I've driven SUVs
Apr 24th 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffO9oIWi9M