Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13424756

Subject: "Nearly 30,000 Macs reportedly infected with mysterious malware" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sun Feb-21-21 01:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Nearly 30,000 Macs reportedly infected with mysterious malware"

I'm only posting this because in the old Organix forum I posted an article on internet protection for computers and some Apple user got VERY smug........VERY smug

I wish he were around for this post. Really didn't like that guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/21/tech/mac-mysterious-malware/index.html

Nearly 30,000 Macs reportedly infected with mysterious malware

By Alexis Benveniste, CNN Business

Updated 12:29 PM ET, Sun February 21, 2021

New York (CNN Business)Nearly 30,000 Macs world-wide have been infected with mysterious malware, according to researchers at security firm Red Canary.

The malware, which the company calls Silver Sparrow, does not "exhibit the behaviors that we've come to expect from the usual adware that so often targets macOS systems," Tony Lambert, an intelligence analyst at Red Canary wrote.

It's not clear what the malware's goal is. Silver Sparrow includes a self-destruct mechanism that appears to have not been used, researchers said. It's also unclear what would trigger that function.

Notably, Silver Sparrow contains code that runs natively on Apple's in-house M1 chip that was released in November, making only the second known malware to do so, according to the news site Ars Technica.

"Though we haven't observed Silver Sparrow delivering additional malicious payloads yet, its forward-looking M1 chip compatibility, global reach, relatively high infection rate, and operational maturity suggest Silver Sparrow is a reasonably serious threat," researchers wrote.

Silver Sparrow infected Macs in 153 countries as of February 17, with higher concentrations reported in the US, UK, Canada, France and Germany, according to data from Malwarebytes, a website that blocks ransomware attacks.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Nearly 30,000 Macs reportedly infected with mysterious malware [View all] , c71, Sun Feb-21-21 01:24 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Republicans and Democrats are the same
Feb 21st 2021
^ :'(
Feb 21st 2021
let me guess.............
Feb 21st 2021
      Some truths
Feb 21st 2021
Posting a "told you so" to someone who's not even around anymore?
Feb 21st 2021
I didn't say he wasn't around anymore
Feb 21st 2021
      Lol
Feb 22nd 2021
VERY smug
Feb 21st 2021
fuck all this bullshit...what do we DO?
Feb 22nd 2021
I think MalwareBytes will detect and remove it
Feb 22nd 2021

Lobby General Discussion topic #13424756 Previous topic | Next topic