Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13403529

Subject: "Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Cen..." Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Cen..."

someone tell me this is fake

‘Like an Experimental Concentration Camp’: Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/like-an-experimental-concentration-camp-whistleblower-complaint-alleges-mass-hysterectomies-at-ice-detention-center/

Several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women.

The nurse, Dawn Wooten, was employed at the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia, which is operated by LaSalle Corrections, a private prison company. The complaint was filed with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by advocacy groups Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and South Georgia Immigrant Support Network.

Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.

“Recently, a detained immigrant told Project South that she talked to five different women detained at ICDC between October and December 2019 who had a hysterectomy done,” the complaint stated. “When she talked to them about the surgery, the women ‘reacted confused when explaining why they had one done.’ The woman told Project South that it was as though the women were ‘trying to tell themselves it’s going to be OK.’”

“When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp. It was like they’re experimenting with our bodies,” the detainee said.

According to Wooten, ICDC consistently used a particular gynecologist – outside the facility – who almost always opted to remove all or part of the uterus of his female detainee patients.

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy—just about everybody,” Wooten said, adding that, “everybody’s uterus cannot be that bad.”

“We’ve questioned among ourselves like goodness he’s taking everybody’s stuff out…That’s his specialty, he’s the uterus collector. I know that’s ugly…is he collecting these things or something…Everybody he sees, he’s taking all their uteruses out or he’s taken their tubes out. What in the world.”

Wooten also confirmed that many of the detained women have told her that they didn’t understand why they were being forced to have the procedure, explaining that some of the nurses obtained their consent “by simply googling Spanish.”

The complaint details several accounts from detainees, including one woman who was not properly anesthetized during the procedure and heard the aforementioned doctor tell the nurse he had mistakenly removed the wrong ovary, resulting in her losing all reproductive ability. Another said she was scheduled for the procedure but when she questioned why it was necessary, she was given at least three completely different answers.

“She was originally told by the doctor that she had an ovarian cyst and was going to have a small twenty-minute procedure done drilling three small holes in her stomach to drain the cyst,” according to the complaint. “The officer who was transporting her to the hospital told her that she was receiving a hysterectomy to have her womb removed. When the hospital refused to operate on her because her COVID-19 test came back positive for antibodies, she was transferred back to ICDC where the ICDC nurse said that the procedure she was going to have done entailed dilating her vagina and scraping tissue off. “

Another nurse then told her the procedure was to mitigate her heavy menstrual bleeding, which the woman had never experienced. When she explained that, the nurse “responded by getting angry and agitated and began yelling at her.”

According to The Intercept, ICE declined to comment on the allegations in the complaint, while a Lasalle Corrections spox said it was “firmly committed to the health and welfare of those in our care.”

“We are deeply committed to delivering high-quality, culturally responsive services in safe and humane environments,” the person said.

Law&Crime reached out to ICE for comment. Law&Crime also reached out to DHS OIG to ask whether it has received the complaint and whether it will investigate the allegations in it. We will update this story if we receive responses.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Cen... [View all] , mista k5, Mon Sep-14-20 04:07 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
It's not. This was ALWAYS where this was heading
Sep 14th 2020
This seems like where the rest of the world is heading
Sep 15th 2020
Whoa.. so they can’t birth more brown voters?
Sep 14th 2020
But wait, I thought these people were "pro-life."
Sep 14th 2020
There is no bottom. The US should be sanctioned internationally
Sep 15th 2020
Prosecute ICE
Sep 15th 2020
If true, this sounds like a war crime.
Sep 15th 2020
ICE deported a crucial witness in an ongoing investigation into allegati...
Sep 15th 2020
this government is f*cking trash
Sep 15th 2020
Whistleblower is a black woman
Sep 16th 2020
indeed...
Sep 16th 2020
we gotta protect this sister.
Sep 17th 2020
Pardon my ignorance
Sep 18th 2020
its good to see this getting coverage
Sep 16th 2020
ICE Prepares to Deport Jailed Immigrant Who Says She Was Forcibly Steril...
Sep 16th 2020
oh they tried it...she was actually on the plane
Sep 17th 2020
      yeah i read that later in a different article
Sep 17th 2020
      Holy shit.
Sep 17th 2020
           I don't. I listen to Rachel Maddow every day. she had Jayapal on live
Sep 21st 2020
i will never understand how the media isnt all over stuff like this
Sep 17th 2020
You would think NPR and BBC would be all over it
Sep 18th 2020
Maddow is. Her team is top notch.
Sep 21st 2020
      Truly.
Sep 21st 2020

Lobby General Discussion topic #13403529 Previous topic | Next topic