Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13402055

Subject: "Right. I hope he comes back to the post to clarify." Previous topic | Next topic
kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Right. I hope he comes back to the post to clarify."
In response to In response to 10
Wed Sep-02-20 10:37 AM by kfine

I think that was it tho. It's pretty close to my preferred system as well, which I think I'll stick with until it becomes untenable to do so...

Like, I use the term 'Black Americans' to refer to to Black American DOS specifically, and 'black Americans' to refer to both Black Americans and other naturalized black immigrant groups (eg. Black Nigerian-Americans, Black Haitian-Americans, etc). I guess I avoid using 'Black' on its own when possible because it's subject to misinterpretation, but if I'm reading an article and see 'Black' on its own, my default assumption would be the author is talking about Black Americans (although this is usually not the case).

The only challenge I have with my system is that I'd consider the correct use of 'African-American' to be an umbrella term for *all* members of the global black diaspora settled in the US... so including Black Americans, Black Jamaican-Americans, Black Kenyan-Americans, etc. But 'African-Americans' is traditionally understood to mean Black Americans in the US. So I just avoid using 'African-Americans' too, despite what I feel it should mean. Most of my Black American friends (note: I'm a daughter of Black African immigrants) do not wish to be called African-American, and were pretty instrumental in helping me see the trauma they percieve in that label.

Maybe I should switch to always capitalizing Black, but hyphenate Black-American?? Does Black-American get used anywhere?

I don't think it's a bad thing that MSM are thinking about this, tho. And I think capitalizing both 'Black' and 'White' makes sense, despite preferring that a capitalized American be used at the end for specificity.

>I remember you advocating for capital B, but my recollection
>was that was just for African-Americans, with mere skin color
>descriptive "black" remaining lowercase...or am I wrong?
>
>If I'm right, what are your thoughts on the way this is
>actually being implemented (capital B for all usages of Black
>describing skin color, from any origin.).
>

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The letter "B" in the term, "Black" is officially capitalized. *swipe* [View all] , Airbreed, Tue Sep-01-20 11:21 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
jabroni lmao
Sep 01st 2020
Doc Claw made it a staple
Sep 01st 2020
never thought i'd see Janky in the dictionary.
Sep 01st 2020
DGAF
Sep 01st 2020
RE: DGAF
Sep 01st 2020
when i read "Jabroni" i hear Prince Paul as the Popmaster...
Sep 01st 2020
Congrats internet. We were talking abt this 20 yrs ago.
Sep 01st 2020
Right on.
Sep 01st 2020
Yo Bin I was trying to remember your position
Sep 02nd 2020
Salute
Sep 02nd 2020
white...ahem, White people are going to have to go through this too
Sep 01st 2020
Notice that CNN capitalizes White now in the OP's article
Sep 02nd 2020
FOH