Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13398410

Subject: "black female Seattle police chief announces her retirement..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Aug-11-20 08:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"black female Seattle police chief announces her retirement..."

the city council voted overnight to give her a 6 figure paycut, I guess that was part of the "defund" movement, she'll probably be replaced by a white man that are a lot less sympathetic to our causes...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/us/seattle-police-chief-budget-cut-4-million/index.html

(CNN)Police Chief Carmen Best announced her retirement Monday night, shortly after the Seattle's City Council voted to cut nearly $4 million from the police department's budget.

Best's announcement came on the same day the council approved the mid-year budget cut from the police department's 2019-2020 budget of $400 million.
The reduction to the police department budget will equate to $11 million over the course of a year, an amount that is far less than a 50% budget cut that had earlier been discussed.
The city council rebalanced the budget in light of the economic crisis brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic and calls to redistribute funds from policing to community programs in the wake of the protests following the death of George Floyd, Seattle City Council President M. Lorena González said in a statement.

"I want to thank Mayor (Jenny) Durkan for her continuous support through good times and tough times," Best said in a letter to members of the police force obtained by CNN. "I am confident the department will make it through these difficult times."
Best said her retirement will be effective September 2.
Durkan said the city is losing an unmatched leader.
"Her grit, grace and integrity have inspired me and made our city better," Durkan said in a statement. "These last months, I knew Chief Best was the person to lead our city through this challenging time, to reimagine policing and community safety."
"Reducing the budget of the Seattle Police Department is a response to the calls for advocating for racial justice and investments in BIPOC communities," González said.
Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best holds a press conference outside of the departments vacated East Precinct.
Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best holds a press conference outside of the departments vacated East Precinct.
The budget reduction calls for cutting 32 officers from patrol, reducing specialized units and administrative costs, cutting training and travel expenses, transferring victim advocates to the human services department and removing two sworn officers from the 911 emergency call center.

The city's 911 calls involve criminal activity 56% of the time, and González said resources and funds can be better allocated by involving other services.
"What we can do is allow our police to focus on what they are trained to do and fund service providers addressing the more complex issues of housing, substance use disorder, youth violence prevention, affordable healthcare, and more," she said.
The budget still must go to Durkan, who can sign it into law, not sign and allow it to become law or veto it, spokesperson Kelsey Nyland said.
In June, Durkan asked the council to cut about $20 million from the budget of the police department to deal with a city shortfall of $378 million stemming from lower tax revenue and increased demand on services during the Covid-19 pandemic. The proposed cut to the police department was the largest reduction in the mayor's budget proposal.
At the time, Durkan asked the police department to come up with plans to cut up to 50% of its spending in next year's budget.
CNN's Joe Sutton and Jennifer Henderson contributed to this report.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

black female Seattle police chief announces her retirement... [View all] , ThaTruth, Tue Aug-11-20 08:16 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
"black female police chief". "black woman taking on NRA'
Aug 11th 2020
that's the part where you READ the article
Aug 11th 2020
Say Their Names
Aug 11th 2020
      He could but no one knows her by name
Aug 11th 2020
      its journalism 101. reel em in with a hot headline
Aug 11th 2020
           #FACTS:
Aug 11th 2020
           if I saw THAT headline...i'd have assumed it was pron related...
Aug 11th 2020
           clickbait is why journalism is shit now lol but okay. be great.
Aug 11th 2020
                whats the incentive for good journalism when people dont read for contex...
Aug 11th 2020
                     "OWWW!"(c)Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar
Aug 11th 2020
misdirected outrage fam.
Aug 11th 2020
Whole city of fringe man buns ousts it’s black Police chief
Aug 11th 2020
how long are you gonna be weird about man buns.
Aug 11th 2020
If he switches to comically long latte orders
Aug 11th 2020
Its the only way i could fill out my "joe rogan fan" bingo card.
Aug 11th 2020
point out the lie in my post
Aug 11th 2020
They didn’t oust shit.. she chose to retire.
Aug 11th 2020
      If your pay is cut but 40% at your job are you going to stay?
Aug 11th 2020
           Hell no.. lol.
Aug 11th 2020
           ^^^^^
Aug 11th 2020
           Did they cut her pay in addition to/as part of the overall budget?
Aug 11th 2020
           40% pay cut is reasonable when SPD are making up to 200k a year
Aug 11th 2020
                if you're working at 7/11 a 40% pay cut will make most people leave...
Aug 11th 2020
                If I can retire at the higher rate I would..
Aug 11th 2020
                40% of minimum wage is not the same as 40% of 6 figures my guy.
Aug 11th 2020
                     If your job wanted to give you a 40% pay cut you'd be good with that?
Aug 11th 2020
                          If my salary was funded by tax dollars? Absolutely.
Aug 11th 2020
                               If ‘if’s’ were 5th’s we’d all be drunk, 40% is 40%
Aug 11th 2020
                                    You talking numbers without context.
Aug 11th 2020
                                         Again no matter what your job is, if you’re used to a certain salary.....
Aug 11th 2020
                Damn.. these cops balling out.
Aug 11th 2020
                     oh yeah man, police have an overtime racket.
Aug 11th 2020
                          100k is fairly low for base pay for a cop?
Aug 11th 2020
                          I'd tend to agree. People get paid WAY more to do FAR less.....
Aug 11th 2020
                          Most cops don’t do shit tho
Aug 11th 2020
                               that's actually a good thing lol...
Aug 11th 2020
                          i think? shit, i dunno. my cousin is friends with Carmen Best.
Aug 11th 2020
                          Daniel Pantaleo was making almost $200k/yr on desk duty before he...
Aug 11th 2020
                          I agree but I feel like the only way police will "change" is from inside...
Aug 11th 2020
                               and of course the reasons for this are multitude.
Aug 11th 2020
                                    RE: and of course the reasons for this are multitude.
Aug 11th 2020
                                         right. i totally get your point there.
Aug 11th 2020

Lobby General Discussion topic #13398410 Previous topic | Next topic