Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13397495

Subject: "My Board Told Me to Fire my Black program director. Here's my response:" Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Wed Aug-05-20 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My Board Told Me to Fire my Black program director. Here's my response:"
Wed Aug-05-20 11:32 AM by Damali

They recommended I fire him at the end of August because we are currently experiencing cash flow challenges/shortages because of the pandemic...this is what i wrote in response:

This recommendation is not only inappropriate, it shows a lack of understanding of Board governance, as well as a dismissive and unhealthy management relationship with your Executive Director. This is the 2nd time the Board has made such a recommendation to me and I made it clear the first time that I did not appreciate it.

I wholly reject this recommendation.

We spent an entire almost 2 hours on a Board meeting together at which point anyone could have asked me for a specific account of my staffing plan for the Fall. To have any kind of conversation around staffing without your Executive Director involved undermines the work I do as I am the only person that works for you. I am perfectly capable of assessing our cash flow realities and adjusting staffing to align with it. A more appropriate result of your Executive Session would be for the Board to request that I provide a specific written plan for staffing, or even requesting that I reduce staff costs to a certain percentage of overall revenue. In my first full year as ED, I reduced spending by over $100K, while increasing revenues by roughly the same amount. I more than earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the way the org allocates funding.

But to directly recommend I fire a specific person with no regard for (or any guidance around) what that means, is cruel and callous. Over the last 4 months, as we've been affected by an unprecedented global pandemic, I've been appalled at the way this Board has displayed tone-deaf decision making and conversations with respect to how people (especially people of color) are treated. There have been many instances where I've attempted to bring attention to this with no resulting change in behavior. It is even more offensive considering this has been a mostly all white governing body. While there seems to be talk about the importance of antiracism, I'm not seeing that in action.

In conclusion, I will assess and make decisions around staffing levels as we head into the Fall and will forward a plan to David for my remaining time here. I plan for my last day to be September 30 and quite honestly, it can not come soon enough.

d

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

My Board Told Me to Fire my Black program director. Here's my response: [View all] , Damali, Wed Aug-05-20 11:26 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: My Board Told Me to Fire my Black program director. Here's my respon...
Aug 05th 2020
You gave him a heads up about Oct. 1st thought right?
Aug 05th 2020
yeah i told them months ago that i was leaving but hadn't given a date
Aug 05th 2020
what happened with gay homie in the body suit?
Aug 05th 2020
of course he did. He's the favorite counselor of all the kids
Aug 05th 2020
that letter/email needs to be read over the shook ones pt 2 instrumental
Aug 05th 2020
I read it in Viola Davis voice
Aug 05th 2020
Kudos for standing your ground.
Aug 05th 2020

Lobby General Discussion topic #13397495 Previous topic | Next topic