Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13380931

Subject: "The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Mon Apr-27-20 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)"
Mon Apr-27-20 10:25 AM by navajo joe

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/us/ahmed-arbery-shooting-georgia.html

Two Weapons, a Chase, a Killing and No Charges
A 25-year-old man running through a Georgia neighborhood ended up dead. A prosecutor argued that the pursuers should not be arrested.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — Ahmaud Arbery loved to run. It was how the 25-year-old former high school football standout stayed fit, his friends said, and it was not unusual to see him running around the outskirts of the small coastal Georgia city near where he lived.

But on a Sunday afternoon in February, as Mr. Arbery ran through a suburban neighborhood of ranch houses and moss-draped oaks, he passed a man standing in his front yard, who later told the police that Mr. Arbery looked like the suspect in a string of break-ins.

According to a police report, the man, Gregory McMichael, 64, called out to his son, Travis McMichael, 34. They grabbed their weapons, a .357 magnum revolver and a shotgun, jumped into a truck and began following Mr. Arbery.

“Stop, stop,” they shouted at Mr. Arbery, “we want to talk to you.”

Moments later, after a struggle over the shotgun, Mr. Arbery was killed, shot at least twice.

No one has been charged or arrested in connection with the Feb. 23 killing. The case has received little attention beyond Brunswick, but it has raised questions in the community about racial profiling — Mr. Arbery was black, and the father and son are white — and about the interpretation of the state’s self-defense laws.

The Rev. John Davis Perry II, the president of the Brunswick chapter of the NAACP, has called the shooting “troubling.” And Mr. Arbery’s friends and family have worried that the case, similar to others that have prompted nationwide outrage, might quietly disappear in their Deep South community, because social-distancing restrictions amid the coronavirus outbreak have made it difficult for them to gather and protest.

Thanks for reading The Times.
Subscribe to The Times
“We can’t do anything because of this corona stuff,” said Wanda Cooper, Mr. Arbery’s mother. “We thought about walking out where the shooting occurred, just doing a little march, but we can’t be out right now.”

Mr. Arbery was killed three days before the anniversary of the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed African-American teenager whose confrontation with a Florida neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, helped ignite the Black Lives Matter movement.

According to documents obtained by The New York Times, a prosecutor who had the case for a few weeks told the police that the pursuers had acted within the scope of Georgia’s citizen’s arrest statute, and that Travis McMichael, who held the shotgun, had acted out of self-defense.

The police report does not mention whether Mr. Arbery was in possession of a weapon.

Attempts to reach Gregory McMichael, a retired investigator in the district attorney’s office, were unsuccessful. In a brief phone conversation, Travis McMichael, who runs a company that gives custom boat tours, declined to comment, citing the continuing investigation.

The prosecutor who wrote the letter, George E. Barnhill, the district attorney for Georgia’s Waycross Judicial Circuit, recused himself from the case this month, after Mr. Arbery’s family complained that he had a conflict of interest. A prosecutor from another county is now in charge and will determine whether the case should be presented to a grand jury.

ImageMr. Arbery in an undated photograph provided by his family.
Mr. Arbery in an undated photograph provided by his family.
In and around Brunswick, activists and allies of Mr. Arbery’s family are doing what they can to organize online. They have started a Facebook page and have coordinated a pressure campaign, emailing law enforcement officials and the local newspaper. There are hashtags, #IRunWithMaud and #JusticeForAhmaud, and T-shirts have been printed. But few people are on the streets to see their message.

“There are a lot of people absolutely ready to protest,” said Jason Vaughn, a football coach at Brunswick High School who coached Mr. Arbery, who was an outside linebacker. “But because of social distancing and being safe, we have to watch what’s going on with the coronavirus.”

Mr. Arbery was killed in Satilla Shores, a quiet middle-class enclave that abuts a network of marshlands about 15 minutes from downtown Brunswick and a short jog from Mr. Arbery’s neighborhood.

His friends and family said they believed that Mr. Arbery, who was wearing a white T-shirt, khaki shorts, Nike sneakers and a bandanna when he was killed, had been out exercising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story
“Everybody in the community knows he runs,” said Mr. Vaughn, who said he saw Mr. Arbery jogging on the streets a few months ago. Mr. Vaughn said that he himself had raised suspicions by jogging through his own neighborhood in the suburbs of Brunswick, recalling a recent instance in which a white woman followed him in a van.

But others contend that Mr. Arbery was up to no good. On the day of the shooting, and apparently moments before the chase, a neighbor in Satilla Shores called 911, telling the dispatcher that a black man in a white T-shirt was inside a house that was under construction and only partially closed in.

“And he’s running right now,” the man told the dispatcher. “There he goes right now!”

In his letter to the police, Mr. Barnhill, the prosecutor, noted that Mr. Arbery had a criminal past. Court records show that Mr. Arbery was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018. Five years earlier, according to The Brunswick News, he was indicted on charges that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game.

Still, even if Mr. Arbery committed a property crime on the afternoon he was killed, activists and family members said it would not have warranted a chase by armed neighbors.

“This incident was at the least a case of overly zealous citizens that wrongfully profiled the victim without cause,” Mr. Perry wrote in an email. “These men felt justified in taking the law in their own hands.”

Ms. Cooper, Mr. Arbery’s mother, said she believed the men had judged her son by his skin color. And she does not believe he committed any crimes that day. If he had, she said, “he should have been handled by the police.”

ImageHomes in Glynn County, Ga., where Mr. Arbery lived and was killed. No one has been charged or arrested in connection with his death.
Homes in Glynn County, Ga., where Mr. Arbery lived and was killed. No one has been charged or arrested in connection with his death.Credit...Richard Fausset/The New York Times
Ms. Cooper pushed for Mr. Barnhill, a veteran prosecutor, to recuse himself from the case after she learned that his son works in the Brunswick district attorney’s office, which had previously employed Gregory McMichael. (The Brunswick district attorney, Jackie Johnson, recused herself early on, also because Mr. McMichael had worked in her office.)

“She believes there are kinships between the parties (there are not) and has made other unfounded allegations of bias(es),” Mr. Barnhill wrote in his letter, sent in early April, to the Glynn County Police Department. As such, Mr. Barnhill wrote, he had decided to step away from the case, and would ask Georgia’s attorney general’s office to pick another prosecutor.

Mr. Barnhill also wrote that he did not believe there was evidence of a crime, noting that Gregory McMichael and his son had been legally carrying their weapons under Georgia law. And because Mr. Arbery was a “burglary suspect,” the pursuers, who had “solid firsthand probable cause,” were justified in chasing him under the state’s citizen’s arrest law.

In a separate document, Mr. Barnhill stated that video exists of Mr. Arbery “burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation.” In the letter to the police, he cites a separate video of the shooting filmed by a third pursuer.

Mr. Barnhill said this video, which has not been made public, shows Mr. Arbery attacking Travis McMichael after he and his father pulled up to him in their truck.

The video shows Mr. Arbery trying to grab the shotgun from Travis McMichael’s hands, Mr. Barnhill wrote. And that, he argued, amounts to self-defense under Georgia law. Travis McMichael, Mr. Barnhill concluded, “was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself.”

He noted that it was possible that Mr. Arbery had caused the gun to go off by pulling on it, and pointed to Mr. Arbery’s “mental health records” and prior convictions, which, he said, “help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story
After Mr. Barnhill recused himself, the case was assigned to Tom Durden, in the city of Hinesville, Ga., who must now decide whether to present the case to a grand jury for possible indictments. In an interview last week, Mr. Durden said his team had begun reviewing the evidence. “We don’t know anything about the case,” he said. “We don’t have any preconceived idea about it.”

The police report is based almost solely upon the responding officer’s interview with Gregory McMichael, who had worked at the police department from 1982 to 1989. The responding officer describes him as a witness. According to the report, Mr. McMichael told the officer that he and his son pulled up near Mr. Arbery, that his son got out of the truck with the shotgun, and that his son and Mr. Arbery then fought over the weapon, “at which point Travis fired a shot and then a second later there was a second shot.”

Michael J. Moore, an Atlanta lawyer who formerly served as a U.S. attorney in Georgia, reviewed Mr. Barnhill’s letter to the Glynn County Police Department, as well as the initial police report, at the request of The Times. In an email, Mr. Moore called Mr. Barnhill’s opinion “flawed.”

In his view, Mr. Moore said, the McMichaels appeared to be the aggressors in the confrontation, and such aggressors were not justified in using force under Georgia’s self-defense laws. “The law does not allow a group of people to form an armed posse and chase down an unarmed person who they believe might have possibly been the perpetrator of a past crime,” Mr. Moore wrote.

Nearly two months after the shooting, residents of Satilla Shores remained on guard. One woman angrily asked what a reporter was up to, and another approached almost immediately with similar questions, announcing that she was armed and that she had notified the police.

Mr. Vaughn, the football coach, said on Sunday that he and other activists had come up with a plan to keep the pressure on the authorities. They plan to drive to Mr. Durden’s office in Hinesville, he said, about an hour away. They will mark off spots on the sidewalk so that they remain several feet apart. And they will enter the building, one by one, to ask why the men who chased Mr. Arbery have not been arrested.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe) [View all] , navajo joe, Mon Apr-27-20 10:25 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
This was heartbreaking
Apr 28th 2020
^
May 06th 2020
I'm upping this in light of the release of the footage of his murder
May 05th 2020
Ida B. Wells wins posthumous Pulitzer Prize for her work on lynching
May 05th 2020
now the governor is getting involved...
May 06th 2020
Those pesky videos
May 06th 2020
seriously God bless whoever leaked this video.
May 07th 2020
      Heard their friend released it hoping it will clear them
May 10th 2020
I said to my wife when the video came out that now GA ...
May 07th 2020
      Exactly...ol “we will conduct a thorough investigation’ bullshit
May 07th 2020
I swear if I hear the words "Stand your ground"......
May 06th 2020
shaun king already fundraising to his pac.
May 06th 2020
Honestly at this point he must love being hated.
May 06th 2020
is he really disliked tho
May 07th 2020
      he had a weekly slot on Tom Joyner show.
May 07th 2020
      not universally.
May 07th 2020
Ya'll would have felt the same way about MLK
May 07th 2020
      Well this response is surely disingenuous as fuck.
May 07th 2020
           It's 100% sincere.
May 07th 2020
                RE: It's 100% sincere.
May 07th 2020
                lol where are you niggas crawling out from?
May 07th 2020
                OMFG, let me crawl into your brain and take a nap for an hour.
May 08th 2020
                     Sure
May 08th 2020
                          hi shaun, where'd the ferguson money go?
May 11th 2020
                          This is why dude goes off on people, & I understand it
May 11th 2020
                          man please. yay he amplifies issues. but he's a fucking thief
May 11th 2020
I just...No words. Too sad. We can’t even jog.
May 06th 2020
Anyone see this quote from the GBI director ?
May 07th 2020
They’ll claim some self-defense bs
May 07th 2020
The recused prosecutor already got you
May 07th 2020
      But Arbery isn't allowed to defend himself against the gun man?
May 07th 2020
           Oh believe me, that's not an argument I subscribe to
May 07th 2020
           yeah same thing with Trayvon
May 07th 2020
May 07th 2020
Fake news
May 07th 2020
RE: The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)
May 07th 2020
The criminal process is controlled by the District Attorney
May 07th 2020
and yet we wont stop hiring......Crump. SMH
May 07th 2020
They get the best lawyers they can afford and will take their case
May 07th 2020
You are giving me Time to Kill vibes.
May 08th 2020
they just got arrested.
May 07th 2020
Thank God for the activists
May 07th 2020
it low key bothered me that the protesters we're social distancing
May 08th 2020
      Here in NYC
May 08th 2020
I almost feel like this Sean Reed shit is a plant to distract from this....
May 08th 2020
Recently I said to my roommate
May 08th 2020
My assumption now is they are gonna go with Stand Your Ground
May 08th 2020
      If you point out it’s just like Trayvon they won’t win the case
May 08th 2020
And here comes the alt-right w/ the smear campaign
May 08th 2020
Oh god what are they fucking saying.
May 08th 2020
Who are you referring to?
May 08th 2020
Online I’ve seen the “he had a charge or 2 on his record”
May 08th 2020
Most of "those" place I check out are firmly against the two yokels
May 08th 2020
Here
May 08th 2020
      Thanks.
May 09th 2020
           Rogan's podcast is a huge platform for white supremacists
May 09th 2020
I mean...they managed to make Botham Jean into a monster
May 08th 2020
      Yeah this is the main thing they are running with
May 08th 2020
      I for sure am seeing a lot of 'well he reached for the gun...'
May 08th 2020
I just realized this murder happened in February and they’re just NOW....
May 08th 2020
Thank God for video. Decades and centuries of crimes like these
May 08th 2020
Armed 'Vigilante Group' incl. Police Deputy Threaten Black High Schooler
May 09th 2020
Another video shows Ahmed enter a house under construction
May 10th 2020
Wouldn’t it in theory not matter what he was doing in that house?
May 10th 2020
it’s still murder.. I made that clear in my post.
May 11th 2020
i really dislike the media
May 11th 2020
Because that isn't him.
May 12th 2020
RE: Another video shows Ahmed enter a house under construction
May 11th 2020
his family says it was him
May 11th 2020
I think that video actually helps the case against the murderers
May 11th 2020
I hope it helps his family
May 11th 2020
I explore when I run. It's part of the joy of running. You run a few mil...
May 11th 2020
yeah, by no means am I defending these murderers
May 11th 2020
no doubt, I follow what you're saying. I agree, the media be on some B.S...
May 11th 2020
There is this new house on my block I've been debating all month when to...
May 11th 2020
      They got us a long time ago fam
May 11th 2020
I am surprised at how many folks look at unfinished houses...
May 11th 2020
Yes. It’s pretty normal to look at a house under construction
May 11th 2020
We renovated our house (full gutting) and after we moved back in....
May 11th 2020
We used to do it as bored teenagers. Just being nosy
May 11th 2020
The homeowner had video camera inside the construction site
May 11th 2020
Yeah agreed. That’s still someone’s property
May 11th 2020
i figured most folks did it.
May 11th 2020
theres mad surveillance footage of him outside *and* inside the house.
May 11th 2020
People don’t steal from Construction sites where you guys are at?
May 11th 2020
Yeah.. people definitely steal from construction sites
May 11th 2020
people have the right to be suspicious.
May 11th 2020
People don’t steal from Construction sites on foot, in broad daylight,...
May 11th 2020
      this is where I am.
May 11th 2020
      There may be more videos of him on the property at night
May 12th 2020
           thats not him.
May 12th 2020
                Good to know
May 12th 2020
the family building that house hired a lawyer. the lawyer was on MSNBC.
May 12th 2020
      that's peace
May 12th 2020
      Yeah. I appreciate the owners releasing the video
May 12th 2020
      right. and to add just a little bit more sadness to this whole thing...
May 12th 2020
           It’s definitely THAT HOUSE now
May 12th 2020
           white tears, they just don't want people protesting outside their house....
May 12th 2020
      we shouldnt have to applaud people for just doing the right thing
May 12th 2020
The man behind the camera was interviewed by Cuomo
May 12th 2020
God there are so many mediocre older white men in positions of authority
May 12th 2020
Why do all these white people look related?
May 12th 2020
Roddie is going to need a better lawyer. Charged with murder
May 21st 2020
      Felony murder, something I just this week heard a podcast about.
May 21st 2020
Never thought I'd see the day that Brunswick would be in the news.
May 13th 2020
Savannah native here...all I can do is shake my head
May 18th 2020
Homeowner said Arbery was just getting water :-(
May 15th 2020
Homeowner released vids showing multiple people trespassed on the proper...
May 18th 2020
i think dude is tryna wash his hands of a conspiracy to commit murder.
May 18th 2020
      Aaaaah, there was a piece in the story I read about him inquiring about ...
May 18th 2020
      A neighbor keeping an eye out isn’t a bad thing
May 18th 2020
      If he went that route I would call BS.
May 18th 2020
           It’s the south. Everyone is packing down here.
May 18th 2020
      I think you may be adding this to the story...
May 18th 2020
           right?
May 18th 2020
           my bad he texted another neighbor to check on his crib
May 18th 2020
This timeline by NYTimes has some scary details.
May 18th 2020
The man behind the camera is now charged with murder
May 21st 2020
Based on that Cuomo interview dude seems like he would
May 21st 2020
RE: Based on that Cuomo interview dude seems like he would
May 21st 2020
Called it
Jun 04th 2020
good
May 21st 2020
Hold these Ls…
Jan 07th 2022
highlight of the day.
Jan 07th 2022
Thank god.
Jan 07th 2022
As someone who didn't follow this closely
Jan 07th 2022
Here’s some info on Bryan…
Jan 07th 2022
Thanks for that.
Jan 07th 2022
      Dude legit just got on some racist, neighborhood watch shit
Jan 07th 2022
           Wasn’t he passing the video around to their racist friends? Isn’t…
Jan 07th 2022
how do you just drive behind people chasing a Black man on foot?
Jan 09th 2022
Travis McMichael got that new joint out, today...."More Life (sentences)
Aug 08th 2022
i see some black celebs say there are no hate crime laws for black ppl.
Aug 08th 2022
      more and more, man...people just be saying stuff....
Aug 08th 2022
           we have these devices in our hands damn near 24 hrs/day
Aug 08th 2022
this BITCH asking to be kept in Federal custody...
Aug 08th 2022

Lobby General Discussion topic #13380931 Previous topic | Next topic