Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13306902

Subject: "Android Auto/Apple Car Play" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16418 posts
Tue Jan-15-19 05:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Android Auto/Apple Car Play"

do you have either? have you switched phones because your car only had one? (i think my coworker just did this lol)

i got it in the new car and im still a bit eh about it. i have an android, the car has both options.

let me know why i should be using it. what are some cool things i should know about?

what i know right now is i need to plug-in my phone to usb, it will play my music at full quality (nice) and make it really inconvenient for me to actually use my phone while driving (ok). i think google maps will display in dash too if i need navigation so thats cool.

i dont like having to plug-in but i might get used to it. if i need navigation then i think its very worth it. even for any long trip. for getting to work in a rush i want to just jump in the car and go. so far it has a delay and sometimes gives me an error that the phone is not responding. i have an s8 with a wireless charging mount so im used to just dropping it in there. having to unplug the cable from the mount to plug in my phone is kind of annoying but could be worth it.

definitely like the quality of the audio and the fact that i can still use the steering wheel controls to change tracks instead of fumbling with my phone if i were to use aux. displaying the music in the dash using google play looks awkward but its good to have the music info in the dash unlike aux.

also, i got a message the other day while driving, i got the notification on my phone first then in the dash. the dash showed i got a notification but i had to press home then click on the message in order for it to play it. that seems dumb. are there options for this? i would like an audio prompt asking if i want to listen to the message or dismiss it. having to touch the screen while driving seems to defeat the purpose of it. i have to be doing it wrong right??

for now im thinking ill stick to bluetooth for my work commute but use android auto for other drives.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Android Auto/Apple Car Play [View all] , mista k5, Tue Jan-15-19 05:03 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Have had CarPlay for a few weeks
Jan 15th 2019
whats the process like for listening/responding to text?
Jan 15th 2019
      It reads it to you and then asks you if you want to reply
Jan 15th 2019
           seems the same as android auto
Jan 15th 2019
           the dock thing is pretty cool
Jan 16th 2019
Android Auto now supports wireless over Wifi
Jan 15th 2019
thats a no-go
Jan 16th 2019
*runs to this post like Usain Bolt*
Jan 16th 2019
so basically android wants to rely too much on voice?
Jan 16th 2019
      yes.
Jan 22nd 2019
           interesting
Jan 22nd 2019
I have CarPlay and love it.
Jan 16th 2019
so you dont need to enter your destination?
Jan 16th 2019
      Not if it's a frequently traveled destination part of your regular routi...
Jan 17th 2019
           im giving this a shot
Jan 17th 2019
my stock head unit is giving out on me, looking into one with apple carp...
Jan 16th 2019
yikes that sounds like a pain
Jan 16th 2019
Crutchfield makes it pretty easy to get all the associated parts/instruc...
Jan 16th 2019
neither one is that great
Jan 16th 2019
do you think either is better than the standard unit interface?
Jan 16th 2019
      oh def better than standard
Jan 22nd 2019
           when i set it up it asked me which apps i wanted to include
Jan 22nd 2019
some thoughts after using it for a couple of months
Mar 06th 2019
Love it, overall.
Mar 06th 2019
thoughts on the latest version of adroid auto?
Aug 27th 2019

Lobby General Discussion topic #13306902 Previous topic | Next topic