Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13300967

Subject: "An email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy. " Previous topic | Next topic
kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Fri Dec-07-18 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"An email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy. "

Hello Coach,

I apologize for the delayed response. I didn't pay for a trophy because **** didn't want one. In his words, he didn't feel like he was really a part of the team. I totally understand the culture of football from growing up in Belle Glade, which is why I would prefer him to choose another sport. However, he loves playing football, but he's only played flag up until this year. ***** not aggressive (prayerfully this will change with growth and development), but he can catch and he can track a ball. ***** knows the abilities that he possesses and those that he doesn't, and he felt that instead of giving him the opportunity (when he's in the end zone and nobody is tracking him because they know who will get the ball), you all preferred to utilize the kids with raw talent. This is not a rant, but just wanted to give you some insight on his feelings. ***** will never be the kid that is excited to win just because he's on a winning team, but didn't contribute to the win; and he has never liked accepting trophies in win or lose situations (when there is really no second place). I respect his decision. While I truly appreciate the gesture, we will decline the trophy. I hope you have a blessed day.

***** - jit name redacted

So...this is the age old scenario of the parent thinking their kid is better than what he is. The kid played on his daddy’s FLAG football team for years...they were undefeated. I mean, I’ve never met a flag coach that wasn’t undefeated, but that’s another story. The kid could catch and he could run routes. He wasn’t aggressive at all. He wasn’t ready for the level of competition and would have been better served playing a level down.

I responded:

Thank you for your response. Wow. Didn’t know he felt that way. I wish he would have told me he felt this way during the season. I had fun teaching him the game and I hope him all the best in the future. I would really like for him to come back next year!

Coach

I know this was all dad. He wanted his son to be on the level with my studs, but your boy isn’t putting in the amount of work they have. They were here in spring workouts, they were here during the summer workouts, your boy wasn’t. He was given plenty of touches and sometimes you have to understand in tackle you have to run he ball. Can’t air it out on every play like flag. So no, your son will not get 5-8 targets a game.

First time I had a kid decline a trophy.

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

An email I got from one of my parents rejecting a trophy. [View all] , kingjerm78, Fri Dec-07-18 02:23 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Hopefully they find lil man a sport that aligns with his sensibilities.....
Dec 07th 2018
I feel for this kid
Dec 07th 2018
Right...lil man probably HATES football and his pops refuses to believe
Dec 07th 2018
but...
Dec 07th 2018
Ole Polk High ass football dad
Dec 07th 2018
what age group?
Dec 07th 2018
9-11
Dec 07th 2018
wow
Dec 07th 2018
Dude needs to have a convo w/his kid (or more likely himself)
Dec 07th 2018
He started every game. Played 90% of offensive snaps
Dec 07th 2018
lol 90% and you have to take this noise
Dec 07th 2018
Parents are what's wrong with youth sports
Dec 07th 2018
Sometimes I think it might be fun to be involved with youth sports
Dec 07th 2018
      i'd never be the head coach of a youth team.
Dec 07th 2018
           That football show with the kids brigs flashbacks
Dec 07th 2018
           I feel like 25 years ago, there was still some level of chill in youth s...
Dec 07th 2018
                for the amount of money they spend on coaches, camps, select clubs...
Dec 07th 2018
                It’s always been this way
Dec 11th 2018
damn does this kids pops think he's OBJ?
Dec 07th 2018
You know the kid wanted that trophy
Dec 07th 2018
"If you're not first... you're last" (c) Reese Bobby
Dec 07th 2018
haha, i thought of this too.
Dec 07th 2018
      lol
Dec 07th 2018
My kid didn't have a great football experience this year...
Dec 07th 2018
Sometimes, the only reason to stay professional is consequences
Dec 07th 2018
dad version of take your ball and go home
Dec 07th 2018
Wow... wow....The coach didn't give out trophies!
Dec 09th 2018
Varsity? This is HS?
Dec 11th 2018
Seems like somehting you'd make clear from jump
Dec 11th 2018
these ideas people have about kids earning trophies are so bizarre
Dec 09th 2018
youth sports would be great if it wasnt for the parents
Dec 10th 2018
When people use religious language to be assholes, it just ups the assho...
Dec 10th 2018
I detect a bit of well thrown shade from you coach. LOL.
Dec 13th 2018
Keep It Moving
Dec 13th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13300967 Previous topic | Next topic