Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13261077

Subject: "No charges expected for Father who left Katera Barker in hot car" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue May-29-18 08:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"No charges expected for Father who left Katera Barker in hot car"

White Dad, adopted 1 year old Black baby. He was running late and dropped his 5 year old off at elementary school then drove home, took an uber to the airport and the mother didn't find the baby until 5 PM.

https://www.bet.com/news/national/2018/05/27/white-dad-_forgot-he-left-his-adopted-1-year-old-black-daughter-.html

Katera Barker, who is Black, died last Wednesday (May 23) in Nashville, Tennessee after her white adopted dad, Matt Barker, left her in his truck and took a ride sharing service to the airport for a business trip.

According to The Tennessean, police say Barker dropped off Katera and her five-year-old sibling at daycare on Wednesday morning but didn’t realize the youngest was still in the car until after the drop-off.

Unknowingly, he drove home and the young girl was still in the car as he parked it at around 8 am. That’s when he departed on the business trip in a different vehicle.

Tariq Nasheed

@tariqnasheed
This is Matt and Jenny Barker. This week, Matt "accidentally" left their Black adopted daughter Katera Barker in a car all day, where she later died because of the heat. Neither of the adoptive parents have been charged #smh

Katera’s adoptive mother, Jenny Barker, discovered her daughter near death that evening when she went to pick the children up from daycare and was told Katera was never dropped off. The mother then called 911 at around 5:42 pm and raced back home.

Barker arrived home before paramedics, pulled the girl out of the car, and performed CPR on her. Katera was then taken to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

Matt Barker immediately flew back to Nashville upon hearing of Katera’s death. On Wednesday in Nashville, the National Weather Service claims temperatures reached a high of 89 degrees, which could’ve totaled nearly 120 degrees in the vehicle.

So far, no charges have been filed in the case.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

No charges expected for Father who left Katera Barker in hot car [View all] , legsdiamond, Tue May-29-18 08:03 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If you haven’t read this, it’s a must-read
May 30th 2018
There shouldn't be charges
May 30th 2018
That fool wasn't driving a Canyonero
May 30th 2018
Tennessee criminal codes disagree with you:
May 30th 2018
RE: Tennessee criminal codes disagree with you:
May 31st 2018
this is pretty much where i'm at with it. but man oh man, how horrible.
May 30th 2018
Having 1st hand experience with the adoption process in the USA....
May 30th 2018
Are you gonna ride for all of the other parents that got charged for the...
May 30th 2018
      cause some think it's race related
May 30th 2018
      Yes. Except for the ones where they did it knowingly
May 30th 2018
      FCK no. My beef is with the racialization of this. Across the board
May 30th 2018
           I don't care for the racial aspect of this either. Something bugs me tho
May 30th 2018
                the article Stringer linked is a good read...there have been others
May 30th 2018
This is child neglect that has lead to injury/death. A crime.
May 30th 2018
I think the race and adoption definitely adds a layer to this
May 30th 2018
      It shouldn't. Point blank.
May 30th 2018
           I'm on the fence about the adoption angle
May 30th 2018
If both kids going to the same daycare, how u forget one
May 30th 2018
It doesn’t sound right
May 30th 2018
ok, so I read he was running late and dropped the 5 yr old off at school
May 31st 2018
He didn't leave his kid, the kid got snatched
May 30th 2018
he left him with the alligator?
May 31st 2018
tariq nasheed tries to latch on to anything, even a dead kid.
May 30th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13261077 Previous topic | Next topic