Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13251305

Subject: "June 1st, BKLYN "Yo, MTV raps!" show - tickets on sale Sat 4/21 " Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13967 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 01:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"June 1st, BKLYN "Yo, MTV raps!" show - tickets on sale Sat 4/21 "
Wed Apr-18-18 01:33 PM by c71

at 12pm est

Big Daddy Kane and the Juice Crew, Eric B. and Rakim, Doug E. Fresh, KRS-One and Boogie Down Productions, EPMD, Flavor Flav of Public Enemy, Melle Mel & the Furious Five, the Pharcyde, Brand Nubian, Nice and Smooth, Onyx, Black Sheep, Das EFX, Special Ed, Yo-Yo, Kid Capri and Young Black Teenagers

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mtv-launching-yo-mtv-raps-reinvention-with-brooklyn-show-w519265

MTV Launching 'Yo! MTV Raps' Reinvention With All-Star Brooklyn Show

Golden Era legends scheduled to appear include Eric B. and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Boogie Down Productions, EPMD, Flavor Flav, Doug E. Fresh

By Christopher R. Weingarten

On June 1st, Brooklyn's Barclays Center will play host to a family reunion of sorts with the Yo! MTV Raps: 30th Anniversary Experience, a tribute to the instantly popular, era-defining music video show featuring a formidable line-up of Golden Era pioneers.

The event will serve as the first event in a campaign that an MTV press release says will "reinvent" Yo! MTV Raps across both their television channels and social media. MTV will live-stream the arena concert on its website, which will feature who's who of lyrical legends and video stars.

Scheduled to appear are a slew of artists featured on the show's run between 1988 and 1995: Big Daddy Kane and the Juice Crew, Eric B. and Rakim, Doug E. Fresh, KRS-One and Boogie Down Productions, EPMD, Flavor Flav of Public Enemy, Melle Mel & the Furious Five, the Pharcyde, Brand Nubian, Nice and Smooth, Onyx, Black Sheep, Das EFX, Special Ed, Yo-Yo, Kid Capri and the first performance of "Tap the Bottle" hitmakers Young Black Teenagers since they disbanded in 1994.

Weekend host Fab 5 Freddy and the raucous weekday crew – Ed Lover, Doctor Dré and T-Money – will be also all be on hand along with DJs Skribble, Red Alert and Chuck Chillout.

"The actual star of the show is the Yo! MTV Raps brand and all the iconic groups that either started their career or got their mainstream light through that show," says DJ Skribble, one of the show's co-producers. "So many people from my age group, we lived and died by that show."

The event will also feature special tribute videos from Eminem, Method Man, Redman and more.

Inspired by the success of the popular I Love the '90s tour, Ed Lover and Doctor Dré reached out to their former manager Charlie Stettler, who helped bring this concert to life. Dré says people tell him that they loved the show "every time I go anywhere."

"Raising my kids and going to school functions and their parents come up, going, "Oh my God, I used to run home from school and watch you on TV," says Dré. "The kids sit back and look at my son and go, 'Don't you know your dad is Doctor Dré?' And he goes 'No, it's my dad.' But my daughter, who we call, affectionately, the accountant, she says, 'Yes, that's my dad and we'll charge you a dollar for a handshake and two dollars for a picture.'

"Yo! MTV Raps … actually put hip-hop on the map around the globe," says Dré "From southeast Asia … to Peru, Argentina. Antarctica even used to watch Yo! MTV Raps. I used to get from mail from many different African nations – including Wakanda."

Tickets to Yo! MTV Raps: 30th Anniversary Experience go on sale Saturday, April 21st at 12 p.m.. EST

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

June 1st, BKLYN "Yo, MTV raps!" show - tickets on sale Sat 4/21 [View all] , c71, Wed Apr-18-18 01:11 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
tickets:
Apr 18th 2018
could be fun w/out mostly young ppl in the crowd
Apr 18th 2018
seems to suggest that one might need certainty about the viability of a
Apr 18th 2018
I can't see why any young kids would want to see this show
Apr 18th 2018
      that's why I said that reply #2 seemed wrapped up in a need for
Apr 18th 2018
      You would be surprised. You up on Kvng Guap's videos?
Apr 18th 2018
           yup, but it read like dude was talking about young heads who don't
Apr 18th 2018
                More like young and dead in the crowd
Apr 18th 2018
I went to Masters of Ceremony 2014 and the shit was hype
Apr 19th 2018

Lobby General Discussion topic #13251305 Previous topic | Next topic