Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13183710

Subject: "Hundreds of White Nationalists March at the University of Virginia" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Aug-12-17 10:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hundreds of White Nationalists March at the University of Virginia"

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/white-nationalists-university-of-virginia.html

POSTED BY DIMAS SANFIORENZO

White Nationalists March on University of Virginia
Source: Twitter

Hundreds of white nationalists and white supremacists gathered in protest at the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, Virginia on Friday night.

The crowd was bearing torches — similar to the KKK — and chanting phrases like “blood and soil” and “one people, one nation, end immigration” and “white lives matter.” This march comes a day before the Unite the Right rally, a gathering expected to attract thousands of people. The Unite the Right will be held on Saturday at noon at Emancipation Park, where a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee stands. (Earlier this year the city of Charlottesville voted to remove the statue.)

READ: Airbnb Cancels Bookings, Deletes Accounts Of People Attending White Supremacist Rally

The makeshift march started at around 9:30 pm and lasted about 20 minutes before a group of people against the protesters showed up and a fight broke. According to the Washington Post, one of the anti-protesters threw some kind of chemical agent that affected the eyes of some of the white supremacists.

READ: Killer Mike Defends The Right To Punch A Nazi

After the incident, Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer wrote a message on Facebook against the demonstration, calling it a “cowardly parade of hatred:”

Mike Signer

13 hours ago

Statement on the Rally at the University of Virginia
I have seen tonight the images of torches on the Grounds of the University of Virginia. When I think of torches, I want to think of the Statue of Liberty. When I think of candelight, I want to think of prayer vigils. Today, in 2017, we are instead seeing a cowardly parade of hatred, bigotry, racism, and intolerance march down the lawns of the architect of our Bill of Rights. Everyone has a right under the First Amendment to express their opinion peaceably, so here's mine: not only as the Mayor of Charlottesville, but as a UVA faculty member and alumnus, I am beyond disgusted by this unsanctioned and despicable display of visual intimidation on a college campus.

University of Virginia President Teresa A. Sullivan also released a statement, saying she was deeply saddened and disturbed by what happened:

University of Virginia

11 hrs ·

Saturday morning update:

University of Virginia President Teresa A. Sullivan strongly condemned the demonstration that occurred on Grounds on the evening of August 11. The intimidating and abhorrent behavior displayed by the alt-right protestors was wrong. Those who gather with the intent to strike fear and sow division do not reflect the University’s values and will not influence or diminish the University’s commitment to inclusion, diversity and mutual respect. Included in these values also are a respect for the First Amendment rights to free speech and peaceable assembly.

The University of Virginia is a public institution and as such must abide by state and federal laws regarding the public’s right to access open spaces. While University policy speaks to the ability to reserve space inside University-owned facilities, permits or registration to access public and open outdoor spaces are not required. University policy also does not generally prohibit open flames in outdoor spaces.

With regard to the incident last night, University Police arrested one protestor and charged the individual with assault and disorderly conduct. Several injuries were reported, including one University police officer who was injured while making the arrest. Several other members of the University community sustained minor injuries during the confrontation.

Law enforcement did not deploy pepper spray or any other chemical agents. Reports indicate that the pepper spray was used by the protestors. Law enforcement on the scene declared an “unlawful assembly” once physical altercations among the protestors began to escalate.

The safety and well-being of every member of the University community and its visitors remains a top priority. The University continues to monitor developments in the City and is closely coordinating with state and local law enforcement. The University continues to discourage members of the University community from attending the planned downtown rallies.

President Teresa A. Sullivan issued the following statement Friday.

"As President of the University of Virginia, I am deeply saddened and disturbed by the hateful behavior displayed by torch-bearing protestors that marched on our Grounds this evening. I strongly condemn the unprovoked assault on members of our community, including University personnel who were attempting to maintain order.

Law enforcement continues to investigate the incident, and it is my hope that any individuals responsible for criminal acts are held accountable. The violence displayed on Grounds is intolerable and is entirely inconsistent with the University’s values."

Chilling images and videos of the night traveled all around Twitter. Here is a snapshot of what happened.

Taber Andrew Bain @taber

White supremacists marching across the campus of the University of Virginia grunting and chanting. This is ... this is very bad.

https://twitter.com/JoeHeim/status/896188387358633984

9:58 PM - Aug 11, 2017

66 66 Replies 259 259 Retweets 367 367 likes

deray mckesson ✔ @deray

If black folks were carrying torches on a college campus right now the administration would've already called the National Guard.

10:14 PM - Aug 11, 2017

723 723 Replies 26,358 26,358 Retweets 62,258 62,258 likes

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Hundreds of White Nationalists March at the University of Virginia [View all] , c71, Sat Aug-12-17 10:18 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Hundreds of White Nationalists March at the University of Virginia
Aug 12th 2017
mine has the better link and post title
Aug 12th 2017
      lol
Aug 12th 2017
           sorry but that other post just doesn't have an appropriate title for the
Aug 12th 2017
                I agree with you
Aug 12th 2017
                Haha *rolls eyes*
Aug 12th 2017
                     You said it would be lit
Aug 12th 2017
                          Apparently...now was not the time to shine Kilo.
Aug 13th 2017
                               Apparently it should have been titled Oprah's song
Aug 13th 2017
                                    Lmao
Aug 13th 2017
Ironically the architect of the bill of rights was also a supremacist
Aug 12th 2017
thugs!
Aug 12th 2017
Heather Heyer is the woman who was killed by the driver
Aug 13th 2017
this one.
Aug 14th 2017
Hope folks realize that there can only be violence with nationalists