Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13148060

Subject: "Thirst and cycles: NY Times magazine" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13967 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 07:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Thirst and cycles: NY Times magazine"
Fri Apr-21-17 07:20 PM by c71

Carina Chocano came off in the 4/9/17 Sunday NY Times Magazine (the web article says April 4th, but that wasn't a Sunday) exploration of a subject we all have an opinion on: "thirst"

I'll just post the link and the best paragraphs but....the main thing Carina hit on to me is about how President Obama reflected a "cycle" now seemingly "Trump" reflects a "cycle"

so....

if that's the case......

Does that mean the cyclical nature of the way the world "evolves" just mean people have to "rebel" against whatever was the previous "cycle" so therefore, no matter how good the previous cycle was, it must be "rebelled" against?

but, for some of us, we may see things never seeming to "go out of style" in some dimensions. Does anyone think entertainment like rock, pop or hip-hop are going to change direction from being more and more "edgy" (Rihanna, etc.) and celebrating "edgy-ness"?

This is just a post to give impressions on the topic - not solve an issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/magazine/its-easy-to-be-called-thirsty-on-social-media-what-about-on-capitol-hill.html?_r=0

Magazine

It’s Easy to Be Called ‘Thirsty’ on Social Media. What About on Capitol Hill?

First Words

By CARINA CHOCANO APRIL 4, 2017

(some excerpted paragraphs from the overall piece)

And yet, whenever I come across the word, it troubles me longer than it should. Something about it rankles. Why thirst, precisely, and not some other basic human condition resulting from need? Maybe it has something to do with the things we thirst for – things like approval attention, affection, recognition; all the interdependent needs. The things we deride as being “thirsty” are the things that lack value in the eyes of the macho, leather-faced American individualist, so they invite macho, stone-faced derision. Hunger, for instance, is described as a presence, a motivating fire in the belly, but thirst is derided as a girly lack. Entitlement plays a part, too. We “hunger” for success, because we approve of success. Hunger is associated with desire, whereas thirst is associated with need.

“Thirsty” is a unisex put-down, but that doesn’t mean it’s not gendered. A man is thirsty when he fails to cloak his libido or his instincts in a perfectly calibrated mix of empathy and chill. A woman is thirsty when she fails to cloak her emotional needs or insecurities behind a posture of detachment. “Thirsty” reinforces gender stereotypes while coolly pretending not to. It expresses our ambivalent relationship with desire – our constant negation of it, our vigilant policing of it. It gets at who is allowed to want things, and in what way we are allowed to want them.

Trump’s arrant thirstiness stands in particularly glaring contrast to Obama’s impeccable chill. This resembles every other time the tyranny of cool has been rebelled against. These things go in cycles: A Romantic eruption of feeling tends to follow in the wake of Classical reserve. Frank emotiveness and sensitivity become culturally sanctioned again, emo comes back and we enter a supposedly more feminine cycle. Only this time, rather than usher in a more frankly emotional phase, we’ve ushered in something suppressive – the total denial of feeling, of experience. It’s not idealism in the air around our leadership or any kind of desire (greed excepted); it’s a lack, a void, a deficit.

I recoil as much as the next person from the narcissistic behaviors “thirst” takes down. But I just as often find myself recoiling from its inhibiting effects. As Anais Nin wrote: “Something is always born of excess. Great art was born of great terrors, great loneliness, great inhibitions, instabilities, and it always balances them.” Nothing is born out of deficiency. Nin was reviled throughout her life and afterward for writing candidly about her desires – something few women are allowed to do without being branded an open wound – and was only recently divested of her status as one of the thirstiest women of the 20th century. (Wanting, of course, is the impetus for getting, and we’re still very selective about who gets to do that.) But after decades of enshrining power, greed, lust and other ego-driven desires as the driving forces of American life, our contempt for thirst seems to hint at a thirst for change.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Lobby General Discussion topic #13148060 Previous topic | Next topic