Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13116885

Subject: "confession monday: 'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls'......" Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Jan-23-17 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"confession monday: 'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls'......"
Mon Jan-23-17 08:43 AM by FLUIDJ

Is a book we purchased for our 4 year old daughter. The premise of the book is great. It's very well laid out, and superbly designed. Do your googles to find out more about it, rather than me rehash that here.

Reading it nightly has been great, and our daughter looks forward to it. The stories are long enough to provide a decent synopsis of the women being profiled, entertaining and short enough to hold the attention of a 4 year old.

Everything has been going great so far. We read just one profile/night and my daughter likes to take a peak at the profile that we'll be reading on the next night.

Last night, I was confronted with a dilemma and forced to face the reality of my own bias, prejudice, sexism, and real opinions regarding transgender and gender bias. The next story for tonight is about a little girl. My daughter was IMMEDIATELY intrigued when she saw the illustration of a little girl and I could see the excitement in her eyes knowing that the next story was about someone close to her age. She can't wait to see what amazing story is ahead.... I couldn't either so after I tucked her in I glanced through and read it myself.

So many feelings and emotions immediately come over me; surprise, anger, shame, sadness, anxiety.....

The next story was indeed about a little girl. It was also about a little boy. A little boy that wanted to be a little girl and followed through with that desire. Coy Mathis...you've probably heard of her. I hadn't.

I'm at a crossroads here. This subject was at the absolute BOTTOM of the list of things I wanted my daughter to even be remotely conscious of at this stage in her life. I don't know how to move forward with reading this story to her, because I know I DON'T have the answers to the questions that she's going to ask after I read it.

confession monday.
hello.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

confession monday: 'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls'...... [View all] , FLUIDJ, Mon Jan-23-17 08:42 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If you don't want to read your daughter the story, then don't
Jan 23rd 2017
Gonna be hard not to, she's super excited just off the strength of seein...
Jan 23rd 2017
      Let us know how it goes down.
Jan 23rd 2017
           Lesson learned for me is : READ AHEAD!
Jan 23rd 2017
aint no way I'm introducing that shit to my kids at 4
Jan 23rd 2017
whats the issue tho? are you worried it might make her
Jan 23rd 2017
I don't have the answers to the questions I know she's going to be
Jan 23rd 2017
the issue IMO is he isn't ready to have that convo
Jan 23rd 2017
      yeah, there's that too. And to be honest, a touch of it IS that I believ...
Jan 23rd 2017
           Yup... why do we need to have those talks so early?
Jan 23rd 2017
           ^^^this but I've got to be honest, I think the idea of being born
Jan 23rd 2017
how often do you choose reading material for kids before reading it?..
Jan 23rd 2017
Besides a few Dr. Seuss books, I was reading them all for the first time...
Jan 23rd 2017
lmao.. fuck reading ahead. Read that shit before hand
Jan 23rd 2017
Generally never.....and there have been times where it bit me in the ass
Jan 23rd 2017

Lobby General Discussion topic #13116885 Previous topic | Next topic