Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13093222

Subject: "RE: Plenty of people were fired in relation to Obama and Obamacare" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22258 posts
Fri Nov-11-16 08:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Plenty of people were fired in relation to Obama and Obamacare"
In response to In response to 9

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123024596

Did you know you could be fired for not removing a political sticker from your car — or even having a beer after work? Lewis Maltby says it's more than possible — it's happened. His new book, Can They Do That? explores rights in the workplace.

As he tells NPR's Ari Shapiro, "Freedom of speech is protected by the First Amendment — but only where the government is concerned.

"What most Americans generally don't know is that the Constitution doesn't apply to private corporations at all."

In terms of monitoring its employees, the list of things a corporation can't do is a short one — it's basically confined to eavesdropping on a personal oral conversation, Maltby said. "Anything else is open season."

And outside the workplace, personal blogs or social media pages on services like Twitter or Facebook offer no refuge.

Asked if workers can be fired for things they write on those sites, Maltby said, "Absolutely. Happens every day."

But not all snooping is meant to be malicious, Maltby said. For instance, a boss who suspects an employee might be about to quit, or is perhaps moonlighting for a competitor, might seek out the worker's personal blog.

The worker might not have been doing any of the things the boss had feared — instead, "your boss sees you blowing off steam about him, takes offense — and you get fired."

And workers have very little legal protection against being fired, said Maltby, who is also the president and founder of the National Workrights Institute.

"I've been getting calls from people for 20 years who've been abused in all sorts of ways," Maltby said. "When I tell them, 'Sorry, you don't have any legal rights,' they literally don't believe me," Maltby said.

Companies need the freedom to run their businesses the way they want — and fire people who are seen as doing a bad job. But, Maltby says, those decisions should be based on legitimate business rationale.

Asked how some practices can persist even though a majority of workers are against them, Maltby points to a key flaw in the job market: workers' need for stable income. The need to pay for things like a home mortgage or a child's education tends to complicate matters.

"It sounds nice in theory to say, 'Walk away, and look for another job,' " Maltby said. "But in practice, most people just can't take that risk. They just put up with it."

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Grubhub said fuck that shit [View all] , select_from_where, Thu Nov-10-16 09:31 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
That's not good either
Nov 10th 2016
nah fuck that bruh. conservative view is, their business their rules
Nov 10th 2016
Nah.
Nov 10th 2016
RE: That's not good either
Nov 10th 2016
Did you honestly read the letter? What's "not good" about it?
Nov 10th 2016
Homie basically said...we will not tolerate build the wall and white pow...
Nov 11th 2016
hope he don't get sued
Nov 11th 2016
is this even legal?
Nov 11th 2016
irreconcilable differences
Nov 11th 2016
Plenty of people were fired in relation to Obama and Obamacare
Nov 11th 2016
I'm not sure Trump's speeches would even be legal in Canada.
Nov 11th 2016
i see most people in this thread didn't read the letter
Nov 11th 2016
what letter
Nov 11th 2016
      right
Nov 11th 2016
           look inside my post
Nov 11th 2016
SMH people are losing their damn minds
Nov 11th 2016
False equivalency here.