Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13022872

Subject: "They're remaking 'Roots' ?! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/arts/tele..." Previous topic | Next topic
Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed May-18-16 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"They're remaking 'Roots' ?! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/arts/tele..."

(lets just remake everything now. New Citizen Kane. New Godfather. New Birth of a Na.... oh wait )

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/arts/television/roots-remade-for-a-new-era.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

ST. FRANCISVILLE, LA. — Cannons boomed, shaking the leaves off 50-foot trees. “Ready, I need fire on that hill!” an urgent voice yelled. Weapons were reloaded. Exhausted infantrymen — black, white, young, old — were splayed around a muddy pit. “Watch your muzzles, gentlemen,” their leader called. “Don’t blow your friend’s face off!”

In a wooded grove in this town near Baton Rouge, La., a television crew was meticulously recreating the brutal Civil War battle of Fort Pillow, for a remake of “Roots,” the seminal mini-series about slavery. The carnage in the fight was significant: After Union soldiers surrendered, the Confederates disproportionately took white soldiers hostage as prisoners of war and slaughtered hundreds of black soldiers, sending survivors into the slave trade. This massacre was not in the original “Roots,” broadcast in 1977, which is exactly why the producers of the new one chose to include it.

It is one of many unexpected historical details put onscreen in “Roots,” which will air over four nights starting on Memorial Day. It will be simulcast on the History, Lifetime and A&E channels, with a sprawling cast that includes Laurence Fishburne; Forest Whitaker; Anika Noni Rose; Anna Paquin; the rapper T.I.; and the English newcomer Malachi Kirby as Kunta Kinte, the central character. The revival aims to deliver a visceral punch of the past to a younger demographic, consumed anew by questions of race, inequality and heritage. With a crew of contemporary influencers — Will Packer (“Straight Outta Compton”) is a producer; Questlove oversaw the music — the hope is to recontextualize “Roots” for the Black Lives Matter era, a solemn and exacting feat.

“I’d be lying if I said I had zero trepidation and nervousness,” said LeVar Burton, who began his career, indelibly, as the slave Kunta Kinte, and who serves as a producer on the modern version. “But I do believe that we have a lot to contribute to the very important conversation of race in America, and how it continues to hold us back as a society.”

Photo

Regé-Jean Page and Anika Noni Rose in the remake of “Roots,” which will air over four nights starting on Memorial Day. It will be simulcast on the History, Lifetime and A&E channels. Credit Michele Short/History
“Roots” is based on the best-selling, Pulitzer Prize-winning 1976 book by Alex Haley, in which he traced his own ancestors back to Gambia in West Africa, followed their path to the United States as slaves and forward into freedom. It occupies a singular place in American cultural history and remains one of the most popular television series ever: Its finale, on ABC, was watched by an estimated 100 million people. And it marked one of the first times that a mass viewing audience was asked to contemplate the legacy of slavery from an African-American perspective. In its wake, generations took a new interest in their own genealogy; even the word “roots” came to be associated with identity.

So why remake it?

That was the question that Mr. Burton and many others asked of Mark M. Wolper, an executive producer and the main force behind it. His father, David L. Wolper, produced the original “Roots.” As the rights were passed down, the younger Mr. Wolper rebuffed many remake offers, he said. But when he tried to watch it anew with his children a few years ago, he came to a surprising conclusion: His father’s “Roots” was no longer good enough. It didn’t connect.

It was a landmark, to be sure, but its performance style and production values are dated. “The makeup is terrrrrible,” Mr. Burton said.

And with nearly 40 years of scholarship since the original, there was new information about the atrocities of the era, the societies of western Africa and the daily life of the enslaved. As much as it was presented as a history lesson, the first “Roots” got some things wrong.

In this version, accuracy is at the forefront, Mr. Wolper said one day last fall, in his production office in New Orleans, where the walls were covered with images of slave ships, plantation houses and African beads. “I’m not being modest here,” he said. “We have to make it better than the first ‘Roots.’ Otherwise, why bother?”

Photo

LeVar Burton began his career, indelibly, as the slave Kunta Kinte in the original “Roots,” broadcast in 1977. Credit ABC Photo Archives/ABC, via Getty Images
He was midway into a four-month shoot, with episodes being filmed in Louisiana and South Africa. (The original was shot mostly on the Disney Ranch in California.)

Though the filmmakers wouldn’t disclose the budget, this “Roots” is among the costliest productions that A&E Networks has done, said Nancy Dubuc, its president and chief executive. (A&E Networks is the parent company of Lifetime and History.) They have had hits like the 2012 History series “Hatfields & McCoys,” but Ms. Dubuc said that given its legacy and the challenges of creating event-worthy programming, “Roots,” another History production, “has to stand head and shoulders above anything we’ve ever done before.”

The creators hired historians as advisers, like Stephanie Smallwood, an assistant professor at the University of Washington and an expert on the Middle Passage, the treacherous, monthslong journey of the enslaved across the Atlantic.

In the ’70s, Dr. Smallwood said, the basics of the slave trade, like its size, were still emerging. Now, research has revealed that “it’s not just the largest, but it’s the most complex migration in modern history,” she said, adding that there is also a more nuanced understanding of its human cost. “It doesn’t rely solely on the symbolism of shackles. That’s a very profound part of the experience, but I think we also think more in terms of the social violence of being separated from your entire genealogy in Africa.”

That is a rift “Roots” tries to highlight, with a new understanding about the real Kunta Kinte, now said to be an educated young man from a prominent, well-to-do family, who lived not in a remote village (as depicted in the 1977 version) but on the shore of a bustling trading post. “He spoke probably four languages,” Mr. Wolper said.

Photo

Malachi Kirby who plays Kunta Kinte in the remade version of “Roots.” Credit Steve Dietl/History
His characterization changed, too: While Mr. Burton’s is a headstrong naïf, the new Kunta is “a little tougher, a little edgier,” Mr. Wolper said, in what he hoped would be a more contemporary spin. Though one of the iconic images of the original was Mr. Burton in shackles, in promotions for this one — “focused thematically more on defiance, resistance and the ability to overcome the shackles of the body,” Mr. Wolper said — Kunta Kinte is shown breaking through his chains.

For Mr. Kirby, the 26-year-old actor who plays him, it was intimidating, from the audition on. “I spent more time worrying about what would happen if I got the part, than actually preparing for it,” he said. He had seen “Roots” a few years earlier, after his mother gave him the boxed set, “and I was still impacted by it,” he said. He first heard of Kunta, he recalled, as a schoolboy: “It was a name that people used to curse me, if ever my hair was particularly messy.”

After he landed the role, Mr. Kirby and Mr. Burton had an emotional meeting. Filming the scene of Kunta being whipped until he says his slave name, Toby — a scene seared in many people’s memory — Mr. Kirby drew on Mr. Burton’s words. He said that before he made “Roots,” he was a mighty boy, and afterward, “a mighty man.” (In the retelling, Kunta Kinte is played by one actor; in the original, John Amos played him as an adult.)

Describing the shoot months later in a phone interview, Mr. Kirby said: “‘Intense’ is an understatement.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

They're remaking 'Roots' ?! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/arts/tele... [View all] , Amritsar, Wed May-18-16 08:54 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Gonna be remaking records next. That new Ready to Die about 2 drop
May 18th 2016
couple things
May 18th 2016
you didn't know? amritsar has a delorean.
May 18th 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #13022872 Previous topic | Next topic