Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12993056

Subject: "Im kind of obsessed with Brian Wilson at the moment." Previous topic | Next topic
cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Thu Mar-24-16 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Im kind of obsessed with Brian Wilson at the moment."
Thu Mar-24-16 10:48 AM by cgonz00cc

Tl; dr: The true genius of Brian Wilson is a recent discovery of mine and now I cant stop thinking about how his mind works.

Long version: Until recently i had the basic view of him, and his band, that i assume most people do. Some fun little hits, got caught up in the 60's, went over the edge, got it semi-together, and now cruising along off baby boomer nostalgia. I knew Pet Sounds was super well regarded, and I knew the singles off of it were a departure from their early sound but Id never listened to the whole album.

Well recently I listened to the whole thing at a time when i was mentally prepared to have my mind blown. And it was. My new girlfriend coincidentally had just seen Love & Mercy and said while we listened that we should watch it. Well after that I saw him in a totally different light. I didnt want to rely on a biopic for all the info so Ive been reading like crazy and dude is just ridiculously fascinating to me.

Every now and then I get really interested in the way someone's mind works, and the way he has talked about the melodies and harmonies he creates is surreal. On top of that Pet Sounds gives a real time glimpse into the mind of someone who is not fitting in the way he used to, and its killing him. Way more than just the typical Icarus story, even tho thats there too. But unlike Icarus, BW's wings grew back! And after everything he has been thru he finished his magnum opus almost 40 years after it almost destroyed him - *still* living with both schizoaffective disorder and tardive dyskinesia from the overprescription of powerful anti psychotics thanks to his asshole shrink.

Anyways this was long and rambly as shit so a few last points:

~ fuck Mike Love, Stan Love, and now by virtue of heritage fuck Kevin Love too.

~ Brian Wilson is rivalled only by Quincy Jones for America's greatest pop producer imo

~ Carl+Brian > John+Paul

~ Love & Mercy is a great flick

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Im kind of obsessed with Brian Wilson at the moment. [View all] , cgonz00cc, Thu Mar-24-16 10:48 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
i tried. i just wasn't made for his time.
Mar 24th 2016
Never liked the beatles.
Mar 24th 2016
      RE: Never liked the beatles.
Mar 24th 2016
           That seems way more outlandish than what i said lol
Mar 24th 2016
                *shrugs*
Mar 24th 2016
check out the boxset
Mar 24th 2016
Im saving PS sessions until i get back to PS in the chronological discog
Mar 24th 2016
he's always been my preference to the Beatles, and I
Mar 24th 2016
I know nothing about music theory
Mar 24th 2016
Agree almost entirely.
Mar 24th 2016
i had a Beach Boys phase back in my last yr of college
Mar 24th 2016
      My take it that you weren't/aren't ready - but it's not "important"
Mar 24th 2016
           i dunno.
Mar 24th 2016
one of the most influential albums of all time.
Mar 24th 2016
You know i almost would have let the uncle-nephew thing slide
Mar 24th 2016
I tried watching the movie high when it first came out ...
Mar 24th 2016
Good to see you posting. Also LOL why?
Mar 24th 2016
      Thanks. Yeah they killed the role but...
Mar 24th 2016
Never went down that rabbit hole.
Mar 24th 2016
They have any other albums similar to Pet Sounds sound-wise?
Mar 24th 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #12993056 Previous topic | Next topic