Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12956897

Subject: "have you ever been offered a promotion you're not sure you want?" Previous topic | Next topic
shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"have you ever been offered a promotion you're not sure you want?"

Right now i have pretty basic, boring job. Nothing spectacular or intellectually demanding. But, I get along with my boss, i can listen to podcasts during the day, mofos leave me alone (i'm an introvert) and it's work that I can leave at work. Once I'm off the clock, I don't think about it all. The rest of my life is mine.

i don't love it. i don't love what i make, but i can live with it for now.

Got an offer yesterday that's a natural progression given the field i'm in, my work history, and what I've told my coworkers my career interests are. (this is just what i've told them. its not entirely true.)

there'd be a raise, of course more responsibility. but it's deadline based shit, and its something i know i'd be stressing about around the clock, at least for a while. (i've done it before, wasn't a good experience, but this is a bigger and more stable organization than the place i was working before.)

that being said, i haven't really challenged myself career-wise in a while. its work that looks far more attractive on a resume than what i'm doing now and the skills i'd be building are more transferable.

i'm not at a very "passionate" moment in my career. i honestly don't really care about anything. at all. given that, i don't know if disrupting my current comfort would be a good idea for me, or horrible.

?

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

have you ever been offered a promotion you're not sure you want? [View all] , shamus, Thu Jan-14-16 10:25 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
yeah, the person i worked under abruptly quit. They tried to slide me in...
Jan 14th 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #12956897 Previous topic | Next topic