Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12948835

Subject: "Chicago PD Killed Two More Innocent Civilians (Link)" Previous topic | Next topic
DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Sun Dec-27-15 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Chicago PD Killed Two More Innocent Civilians (Link)"
Sun Dec-27-15 10:29 AM by DVS

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1207663/father-19-year-old-killed-chicago-police-officer-knew-messed

****************EDITOR'S NOTE FOR PERSPECTIVE************************

The location of this shooting is firmly on the West Side...not the best of neighborhoods but not the Englewood area...where most of these shootings have taken place.

Gwendolyn Brooks Prep is one of the better High Schools in the city...definitely the best one on the South Side (Sorry Kenwood). Getting into that school is murder. For this young man to have graduated? He was working with something...ESPECIALLY considering he spent most of his early years in foster care.

I just want to get all of that in before we start generalizing...mental health is real in this city...a city which has actively been shutting down mental health facilities and turning the former patients out to the streets...amongst an armed and intolerant "PEACEKEEPING" force.

I'm done.

Father of 19-year-old killed by Chicago Police: Officer knew 'he had messed up'

Written By DAN MIHALOPOULOS AND SAM CHARLES Posted: 12/26/2015, 08:45am

The father of a 19-year-old man shot fatally by a Chicago Police officer Saturday morning said the cop knew he “messed up” after firing at the man and a 55-year-old neighbor who also was killed on the West Side.

Antonio LeGrier told the Chicago Sun-Times he saw the white or Hispanic officer standing on the grass 30 feet from the bodies after he heard the gunshots in the 4700 block of West Erie Street.

“F—, no, no, no. I thought he was lunging at me with the bat,” LeGrier said the officer yelled following the shooting that claimed the lives of college student Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie R. Jones.

“In my opinion, he knew he had messed up. It was senseless,” Antonio LeGrier, 47, said of the dark-haired officer who had fired.

“He knew he had shot blindly, recklessly into the doorway and now two people are dead because of it.”

Coming barely a month after a white officer was charged with murdering 17-year-old Laquan McDonald last year, Saturday morning’s shooting that killed two African-Americans increased the pressure already on the police and Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

After learning of the double fatality, and the shooting and wounding of another man later in the day by Chicago Police, Emanuel issued a statement:

“Anytime an officer uses force the public deserves answers, and regardless of the circumstances, we all grieve anytime there is a loss of life in our city. With that in mind, I have been informed that the Independent Police Review Authority has opened investigations into each shooting, and that all evidence will be shared with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office for additional review in the days ahead.”

CPD issued a statement Saturday saying officers involved in the shooting — the statement did not give a precise number — “will be placed on routine administrative duties for a period of 30 days.” It noted the policy, implemented by interim Supt. John Escalante, will be the new protocol for all police-involved shootings.

That statement also extended condolences for the shooting of Jones and pledged the department’s full cooperation with the investigation by the Independent Police Review Authority.

Responding officers, according to the statement, “were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer’s weapon which fatally wounded two individuals. The 55 year old female victim was accidentally struck and tragically killed. The department extends it’s deepest condolences to the victim’s family and friends.”

The elder LeGrier said his son was home for the holiday break from Northern Illinois University, where he majored in electrical engineering technology.

He had graduated last year from Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy with a grade-point average above 3.0 and was listed as part of a team of students who ran the 2013 Chicago Marathon to raise money for clean drinking water for African children.

LeGrier’s father said his son was a “whiz kid” who had some emotional problems after spending most of his childhood in foster care. This past Thanksgiving, Antonio LeGrier said he had his son admitted to Weiss Memorial Hospital, where he was prescribed some medication to deal with his issues.

The younger LeGrier, who had been in foster care since he was four years old, was brought Friday morning by his mother to the building on Erie that his father owns, Antonio LeGrier said. The father said he invited his son to a family holiday gathering, but he chose to stay in the second-floor unit where his father lives.

Quintonio LeGrier’s mother, Janet Cooksey, said she was angry with police and wanted a personal apology from the mayor.

“When is this going to stop?” said Cooksey, who last saw her son on Friday. “My son wasn’t a thug on the street or a violent person.”

Because of psychological issues, Cooksey said he could become “hyper” and “a little loud” at times.

LeGrier had a run-in with a campus police officer earlier this year in DeKalb, according to Cooksey and Lauryn White, a friend of LeGrier’s from college.

In March, the Northern Star student newspaper reported the NIU police charged him with “obstructing a peace officer” in DeKalb. Cooksey said she thought the case had been dropped.

Campus police said they could not access records from the case Saturday.

White said Quintonio’s arrest in DeKalb earlier this year was “a misunderstanding” with an officer.

“He was a very smart person, very determined,” White said. “He enjoyed math.”

When Antonio LeGrier returned to his West Garfield Park apartment early Saturday, he said he noticed his son appeared to be “a little agitated.”

Then at 4:15 a.m. Saturday, the older LeGrier heard a loud banging on his locked bedroom door and his son said, “You’re not going to scare me.”

Antonio LeGrier said his son tried to bust the door open, but he kept him from breaking it down and called for police.

Soon, there was silence.

Antonio LeGrier said he then called Jones, who lived a floor below. He said he warned her, “My son is a little irate. Do not open the door unless the police arrive.”

Antonio LeGrier said Jones told him she saw his son outside with a baseball bat.

When police arrived, Antonio LeGrier said he heard Bettie R. Jones yell, “Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!”

Antonio LeGrier had reached the third step, as he made his way down from the second floor, when he heard the gunshots.

“I identified myself as the father and I held my hands out,” Antonio LeGrier said.

He said he then saw his son and Jones lying in the foyer. Antonio LeGrier said Quintonio LeGrier was still alive but Jones was not moving.

“My son had some emotional problems. Did it warrant him getting shot and killed? I don’t believe it,” Antonio LeGrier said.

Antonio LeGrier said he has since spoken with police and the Independent Police Review Authority — as well as two civil-right lawyers. Police had told him that his son was shot seven times and had called 911 before he did.

Officers responded to a call of a domestic disturbance, according to a statement from the Chicago Police Office of News Affairs.

“Upon arrival, officers were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer’s weapon, fatally wounding two individuals,” the statement read.

Jones was pronounced dead at Loretto Hospital at 4:51 a.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said. LeGrier was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital at 5:14 am.

Neighbors said Jones was shot in the neck soon after she opened the door for police.

Jones’ daughter Latisha Jones said she woke up when she heard three gunshots. She walked to the front door and saw her mother bleeding on the ground, she said.

“She wasn’t saying anything,” Latisha Jones said, who added that she could feel her mother breathing before she was taken away by paramedics.

Latisha Jones said that police shot her mother from outside the home after she opened the door.

Hours after the shooting, blood remained splattered in the small foyer of the two-flat building, on Jones’ front door and five feet into the first-floor unit she rented from Antonio LeGrier.

A small bullet hole could be seen on the door, relatives pointed out.

Family members said Bettie Jones was born in Mississippi, was one of seven children and had five of her own. Her brother Melvin Jones said she was “a hard worker and a sweet soul” who worked on the assembly line at Alpha Baking on the West Side.

Cousin Evelyn Glover-Jennings said she grew up with Jones and was furious with the police and the mayor. She said Emanuel means “God is with us” but the mayor is a “lying devil.”

“I want my cousin’s death avenged,” Glover-Jennings yelled on the front steps of the building. “Emanuel, call your boys. Chicago Police belong to you.”

As other family members nodded, she said, “Don’t open the door when the Chicago Police come. Don’t even call. They come to kill. Serve and protect? They should take that off their car and put, ‘We kill.’ Go to Iraq and fight. Serve in war, instead of this marshal law.”

Antonio LeGrier and Glover-Jennings noted that some other homes on the blocks have security cameras that might have recorded the shooting.

Cook County Commissioner Richard Boykin, a Democrat whose district includes the site of Saturday’s incident, demanded “answers.”

“The fatal shooting of Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie Jones by police officers in my district this morning is one more example of a broken system — a system that will take more than mayoral platitudes and task forces to fix,” Boykin said in a statement.

“At this point, we are confronted with a series of unanswered and deeply troubling questions. Why did the officers on the scene need to resort to the use of their firearms to subdue a young man with a bat? Why weren’t the officers equipped with Tasers so that Quintonio could be subdued without lethal force?

“How, during an officer response, did a 55-year-old mother of five come to be struck dead by bullets?”

After two officers walked from the house and left in a police car, the Rev. Marshall Hatch of New Mount Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church said one of the officers yawned, which he took to show their “sense of contempt” for the dead and their survivors. Hatch said one of Jones’ 19-year-old twin daughters was baptized at his church a couple months ago.

“I don’t understand what could be going on in the officer’s head in this climate,” Hatch said. “I’m incredulous — something like this right in the middle of a crisis of confidence?”

Hatch, who said he is organizing a prayer vigil at 2 p.m. Sunday at the site of Saturday’s shooting, said he had expected police to be more careful after the furor caused by the McDonald case. Since last month’s release of a police dashcam video in that case, Emanuel has fired top cop Garry McCarthy and the U.S. Justice Department has launched a civil-rights investigation into the police department.

“They’re idiots,” Hatch said of the police. “All the spotlight on them and they shoot up this place? These people are out of control.”

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Chicago PD Killed Two More Innocent Civilians (Link) [View all] , DVS, Sun Dec-27-15 10:27 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
just read this. these people should be alive.
Dec 27th 2015
piece of shit washington post with their clickbait title
Dec 27th 2015
that's not clickbait...thats what happened.
Dec 28th 2015
this still does not compute. im beyond blown by this whole thing.
Dec 28th 2015
We've read the history books. Can't be any other way really.
Dec 28th 2015
RE: Chicago PD Killed Two More Innocent Civilians (Link)
Dec 28th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12948835 Previous topic | Next topic