Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12943584

Subject: "Cosby Countersues" Previous topic | Next topic
GQ
Charter member
1369 posts
Mon Jan-04-16 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cosby Countersues"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/12/14/bill-cosby-countersues-accusers-in-massachusetts/77298438/

Bill Cosby is claiming defamation in a lawsuit filed Monday against seven of his accusers.

"Mr. Cosby states plainly that he neither drugged nor sexually assaulted the defendants and that each defendant has maliciously and knowingly published multiple false statements and accusations from Fall 2014 through the current day in an effort to cause damage to Mr. Cosby's reputation and to extract financial gains," Cosby's attorney, Monique Pressley, tells USA TODAY in a statement.

The suit, filed in federal court, is aimed at Massachusetts accusers Tamara Green, Therese Serignese, Linda Traitz, Louisa Moritz, Barbara Bowman, Joan Tarshis and Angela Leslie. Pressley's statement adds that the "false...opportunistic" allegations have caused Cosby to suffer loss of jobs and "mortification."

The seven women have joined together in a defamation suit against Cosby in federal court in Massachusetts (where he lives), originally filed last year by three accusers. It's the largest of the half dozen civil lawsuits filed against Cosby in recent months.

All are known accusers who have come forward publicly in various forums to accuse Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting them in episodes dating back to the mid-1960s.

Cosby's defamation suit against the seven women comes after a federal judge in Massachusetts refused to throw out their suit against him in October.

"This was expected," says attorney Joseph Cammarata, who represents the seven women named in the Massachusetts suit. "It’s a page out of a defense lawyer’s playbook. It’s curious to me how there can be scores of other ladies who have come out, and yet Mr. Cosby has singled out seven of them to bring a claim against. It’s seems a bit retaliatory to me.”

Attorney Gloria Allred, who is one of six lawyers handling civil lawsuits against Cosby (and represents roughly half of his accusers) spoke out about the news.

"Bill Cosby appears to be going to war against women who have sued him in Massachusetts and who allege that he has victimized them," she tells USA TODAY. "Although I do not represent the women in that case, I do believe that in general such a tactic will not deter courageous women from fighting the battle against him."

Allred's daughter, attorney Lisa Bloom, also joined the conversation. She represents Janice Dickinson, who is also pursuing a civil suit against Cosby for defamation. Dickinson has alleged that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in 1982, which Cosby has denied.

"Having been unsuccessful in his attempt to get the Massachusetts accusers' claims thrown out, Bill Cosby's next aggressive legal move is to countersue them. At least this ensures that the accusers will get the day in court they have been seeking," says Bloom, noting Dickinson is awaiting a decision by the court of appeals on whether Cosby will be deposed in her case.

The deposition had been set for November until a judge temporarily stayed the order.

Cosby's countersuit arrives the same day Boston University decided to revoke the honorary degree conferred on Cosby in 2014, joining scores of colleges and universities who have revoked similar degrees in the last year .

"The Board’s decision was based on a determination, supported by Mr. Cosby’s sworn deposition testimony, that his treatment of women has brought significant and lasting discredit upon himself and is inconsistent with the University’s mission and values," said Boston University president Robert A. Brown in a statement.

The total number of women who have publicly claimed Cosby drugged and/or sexually assaulted them in decades past sits at nearly 50. Cosby has denied wrongdoing, and most of the accusations are too old to pursue in criminal court.

Cosby was deposed inOctober in the California civil case brought by Judy Huth, who claims Cosby forced her to perform a sex act on him in the 1970s. That deposition has not been made public and won't be until at least Dec. 22.

According to his attorney, Cosby is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.

"You don't like climbing trees?......You're missin' out." - Michael Jackson

"But Michael, you're a 44-year-old man now, what do you get out of
this?" - Martin Bashir

"Prince Michael II but we call him Blanket......because it's an expression I use

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Cosby Countersues [View all] , GQ, Mon Jan-04-16 02:30 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
He lived too long (c) Bill Burr
Dec 14th 2015
heh in a sense. Never really ok to drug people tho right?
Dec 14th 2015
Do not go gentle into that good night
Dec 14th 2015
^^ that line sounds creepy in this instance
Dec 14th 2015
      VERY creepy
Dec 14th 2015
of course he did.
Dec 14th 2015
I am interested about the legal context here.
Dec 14th 2015
      Yes/no.
Dec 14th 2015
           RE: Yes/no.
Dec 14th 2015
                they won't need to.
Dec 14th 2015
7 of those 30 women are liars! - Cos
Dec 14th 2015
RE: 7 of those 30 women are liars! - Cos
Dec 14th 2015
he gon use the proceeds to bankroll finding the real rapists, on
Dec 15th 2015
Cosby Caught Them Charges, Bruh
Dec 30th 2015
I wonder
Dec 30th 2015
Here's a better link
Dec 30th 2015
Good
Dec 30th 2015
i'm not gonna front this hurt a little...
Dec 30th 2015
      damn
Dec 30th 2015
      homie probably offered the female officer a cappuccino.
Dec 30th 2015
           lol..stop wildin...that's his lawyer
Dec 30th 2015
dr.huxtable finna be a reg. sex offender. fuck this raggedy-ass world.
Dec 30th 2015
wow. this is a guy who should have left the country...
Dec 30th 2015
keep your pants pulled up in court Bill......n/m
Dec 30th 2015
Amy Schumer is cooking up some more good defenses, I'm sure.
Dec 30th 2015
damn.........
Dec 30th 2015
He will beat this - I'm almost 99.9999% sure that his attorney will
Dec 30th 2015
take a note.
Dec 30th 2015
RE: He will beat this - I'm almost 99.9999% sure that his attorney will
Dec 30th 2015
RE: He will beat this - I'm almost 99.9999% sure that his attorney will
Dec 30th 2015
Christ. STFU.
Dec 31st 2015
No, I won't stfu because that's part of the problem - ignorant fools
Dec 31st 2015
      take note.
Dec 31st 2015
      Noted.
Dec 31st 2015
      RE: No, I won't stfu because that's part of the problem - ignorant fools
Dec 31st 2015
      So which of Cosby's constitutional rights have been violated?
Jan 04th 2016
           RE: So which of Cosby's constitutional rights have been violated?
Jan 04th 2016
Bill Cosby Truthers Rally to Their Man (SWIPE)
Dec 31st 2015
He (Cosby) ain't shit but I think he'll skate
Dec 31st 2015
That hoodie-sweater he was wearing, though..
Dec 31st 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12943584 Previous topic | Next topic