Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12939927

Subject: "Would you stick your neck out to help a stranger against racism?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Dec-07-15 12:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Would you stick your neck out to help a stranger against racism?"

Not like physical violence, but derogatory statements/harassment.

What would you do in this situation? Confront the abuser? Comfort the victim?

I'd be thinking that John Quiones from 20/20 was about to pop out somewhere lol.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/56075624-story

U. of Texas student, friend leave popular Austin cafe amid anti-Muslim backlash from other customers

AUSTIN, Texas— Leilah and Sirat started their Sunday morning just as most Americans do: a Sunday morning breakfast meal at a local cafe.

The pair headed to Austin's well-known Kerbey Lane Cafe on Guadalupe Street. While waiting to be seated, they experienced what they describe as Islamophobia— a much too common experience for many American Muslims today.

“My friend and I just experienced Islamophobia in Austin. This is the first time this has happened to me in Austin,” Lailah wrote in a Facebook post. “I have never felt more dehumanized and humiliated than I did this morning,” Sirat added in her own post.

Leilah Abdennabi, a Palestinian-American born in Chicago, and Sirat Al-Nahi, an Iraqi-American born in Seattle, said that while at the popular eatery, an older man at the restaurant shouted, “she should just go back to Saudi Arabia where she came from.”

Nobody said anything. People silently watched.

“I couldn’t believe what he said and I guess I hoped someone would have the humanity to acknowledge it because their silence hurt just as much as his words,” Sirat wrote.

The incident didn’t end there. According to the post, the man continued the harassment, adding, “and the same goes for you. What? You have a gun in there? Just go ahead and shoot me,” at which point the management intervened and proceeded to seat him in an attempt to deescalate the situation— but did not force him to leave.

Leilah says she asked to speak to management, but they said there was nothing they could do. The pair decided to leave.

“As we turn to leave, Leilah, in tears, says, ‘just everyone knows we were told very racist things and this restaurant doesn’t feel the need to address it because who cares about us?’ And somebody called out, ‘nobody.’ And we left. Because it was true,” Sirat wrote.

Their story has been shared nearly 5,000 times on Facebook in just hours. They hope their posts will highlight the responsibility businesses face when it comes to discrimination and how no customers should fall victim to harassment in a place that has the ability to not provide service for such incidents, Leilah told FOX 7.

Leilah’s message to people who witness such harassment is simple: speak up.

“It made the experience so much worse that no one said anything,” Leilah said. Since the incident, she has received messages of support through social media from people who witnessed the incident.

As for those who decide to use such language and actions, Leilah hopes they will “unlearn their hatred and bigotry.”

FOX 7 also spoke to Kerbey Lane, who said their management is aware of the incident and is looking further into it, adding this does not reflect their beliefs. The cafe reached out to Leilah and Sirat to apologize.

Kerbey Lane also issued a public apology on Facebook:

We have reached out to both of the guests who had a negative experience with another guest in our restaurant today and apologized, and we want to publicly apologize for the way this was handled. We do not condone discriminatory comments or behavior in any way, shape, or form; and according to our policy the guest who made these hateful comments to another guest should have been asked to leave our restaurant. This was a mistake made by our management, and we are addressing it with that individual. For anyone who has any concerns about Kerbey Lane’s policies, please contact us directly at or social@klcmail.com.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Would you stick your neck out to help a stranger against racism? [View all] , PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Dec-07-15 12:26 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I would and have.
Dec 07th 2015
Yup
Dec 07th 2015
lol @ nobody
Dec 07th 2015
Depending on how that sounded, I might have laughed w/a frown on my face
Dec 07th 2015
      the timing would have made me chuckle....
Dec 07th 2015
I would have acted a fool in there. I can not abide.
Dec 07th 2015
Maybe they are better off knowing folks like that are out there.
Dec 07th 2015
Oh, I would've cussed they asses OUT to the point the aggreived would've
Dec 07th 2015
I would and have, without consideration.
Dec 07th 2015
of course
Dec 07th 2015
RE: Would you stick your neck out to help a stranger against racism?
Dec 07th 2015
And miss an opportunity to go tell a racist to go fuck themselves?
Dec 07th 2015
^^^^I would've told the homies to break out their cellphones.
Dec 07th 2015
^
Dec 07th 2015
people out here scared man...point blank period. its not right but...
Dec 07th 2015
man. I bet if the cameras were live half the people in here wouldnt say ...
Dec 07th 2015
      That's what I'm saying. It's you versus the whole room
Dec 07th 2015
Im embarrassed that this happened in Austin, it's the one place I've
Dec 07th 2015
I've interjected in two conversations that went too far in Austin.
Dec 07th 2015
I'm going down fighting gotdammit.
Dec 07th 2015
Hell yeah especially in that situation
Dec 07th 2015
yes, and have.
Dec 07th 2015
Yes, and I would have recorded everything.
Dec 07th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12939927 Previous topic | Next topic