Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12908056

Subject: "Rihanna Praises Rachel Dolezal: “I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero” (l..." Previous topic | Next topic
SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rihanna Praises Rachel Dolezal: “I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero” (l..."
Wed Oct-07-15 08:15 AM by SoWhat

get your girl, folks.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/rihanna-rachel-dolezal

In Vanity Fair’s November cover story, Rihanna weighs in on the controversial N.A.A.C.P. chapter president who was “outed” as white.
by Julie Miller

When Rachel Dolezal first made headlines this summer, after the N.A.A.C.P. chapter president was “outed” for being white, no one seemed quite sure what to make of Dolezal’s curious narrative. After all, the media hadn't exactly ever encountered a Caucasian woman who so identified with African-American culture that she devoted her career to celebrating it and countless hours into presenting herself as black. But when Vanity Fair’s Lisa Robinson sat down with Rihanna for the magazine’s November cover story, the pop star revealed a singularly celebratory opinion of Dolezal.

“I think she was a bit of a hero, because she kind of flipped on society a little bit,” Rihanna told Robinson during one long-ranging, late-night conversation. “Is it such a horrible thing that she pretended to be black? Black is a great thing, and I think she legit changed people’s perspective a bit and woke people up.”

Earlier this year, Vanity Fair’s Allison Samuels tracked down Dolezal in Spokane, Washington and convinced the former N.A.A.C.P. chapter president to share her story.

“It’s not a costume,” Dolezal explained of her tanned and elaborately coiffed appearance. “I don’t know spiritually and metaphysically how this goes, but I do know that from my earliest memories I have awareness and connection with the black experience, and that’s never left me.”

“Like I said, I’ve had my years of confusion and wondering who I really and why and how do I live my life and make sense of it all, but I’m not confused about that any longer,” Dolezal continued. “I think the world might be—but I’m not.”

fuck you.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Rihanna Praises Rachel Dolezal: “I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero” (l... [View all] , SoWhat, Wed Oct-07-15 08:13 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I wonder if she's trying to keep a certain level of ratchet in her inter...
Oct 07th 2015
i was with her if she were praising Dolezal for her work
Oct 07th 2015
      Looked this up just now since I'm out of the loop regarding Rhianna
Oct 07th 2015
I never got the final verdict on this. Are we supposed to dislike Rachel...
Oct 07th 2015
I see what you did there.
Oct 07th 2015
*pats head*
Oct 07th 2015
I didn't and still don't get it...prolly never will
Oct 07th 2015
i'm not 'mad' at her either.
Oct 07th 2015
huh?
Oct 07th 2015
she poasts here
Oct 07th 2015
who? RiRi or Rachel?
Oct 07th 2015
      I wouldn't be surprised it both of them have.
Oct 07th 2015
Rihanna on that new black
Oct 07th 2015
that good ol privilege...
Oct 07th 2015
This part actually DOES make me mad.
Oct 07th 2015
Rachel Who?
Oct 07th 2015
I'll never understand why people like Rihanna and T.I.
Oct 07th 2015
Same.
Oct 07th 2015
This was so....disappointing? dreadful?? dumb???
Oct 07th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12908056 Previous topic | Next topic