Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12894448

Subject: "I've played in the local platform tennis (aka paddle) league for decades" Previous topic | Next topic
lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "I've played in the local platform tennis (aka paddle) league for decades"
In response to In response to 0

started occasionally when I was in high school even though it was all adults; never stopped except when I was living somewhere that didn't have a league.

Paddle's a tennis spinoff started sometime around WWII; basically a tennis court the size of a badminton court, caged in with tight chicken wire and the ball can (after it bounces in the in-play section of the court) go off the wires. The ball is kind of like a super pink rubber ball, but covered with a flocking. Historically an outdoor winter sport; Season typically runs October through March, though I play all year now.

The Philadelphia area league is comparatively enormous now - it was 13 clubs with a A and B team each when I started, and now it's 96 teams of eight guys, spread across eight divisions and with a geographic radius that's probably over 50 miles between clubs at its furthest points. There's a huge variety in competition in league play; the lower divisions can easily welcome beginners, and in the top divisions there are plenty of players with national rankings. I beat a guy last spring who finished the 2014-15 season at like 14th in the country. Of course, he was playing with a relative schlub, but still!

One of the great things about paddle is that it's comparatively easy on the body; my pop was relatively competitive up until his knees gave out at 73, and my club has two guys in their mid-80s still playing at a decent level.

The other great thing about the league is that it can be very social; host teams usually provide food and beer, and I tend to get their money's worth. Unfortunately this means it's frequently not a net loss of calories, but it's all part of the fun.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/ [View all] , -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Sep-10-15 06:22 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
lol.. Hockey.
Sep 10th 2015
Yea, I'm 30, so the last bit of my athletic prime is probably about to
Sep 10th 2015
did fast pitch baseball for a few years
Sep 10th 2015
indoor soccer is popular here
Sep 10th 2015
Just started playing on my company's softball team
Sep 10th 2015
i did that a few years ago and it was the exact same thing
Sep 11th 2015
RE: Who's played in an adult league for Basketball/Football/Baseball/
Sep 10th 2015
Softball, Ultimate Frisbee and touch football.
Sep 10th 2015
played Rugby Union for years
Sep 10th 2015
soccer in pasadena - hella fun, at least one league
Sep 10th 2015
Golf - regular in 1 league, sub in another
Sep 11th 2015
lmao @ strenuous practices...
Sep 11th 2015
Been in Adult Basketball League
Sep 11th 2015
There's a 40 and over league in Chicago that's SERIOUS