Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12870852

Subject: "Chuck D talks #BlackLivesMatter, T. Swift, more--NY Post (Murph Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Tue Aug-04-15 08:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Chuck D talks #BlackLivesMatter, T. Swift, more--NY Post (Murph Swipe)"
Tue Aug-04-15 08:46 AM by murph71

There's a few things u pick up when you put in more than a few years in the journalism arena....

1. Dissect AND trust your sources...
2. Don't confuse interviewing subjects as friends....
3. Top editors can/will spin cycle a headline....

Hence u get: Public Enemy’s Chuck D is a Taylor Swift fan

That ended up being the headline for my New York Post Sunday feature...I laughed...And flashed a side eye...Anyway....Peep and enjoy....
----

Public Enemy’s Chuck D is a Taylor Swift Fan

By Keith Murphy

August 2, 2015 | 2:26pm

When Chuck D — frontman of the legendary hip-hop group Public Enemy — takes the stage at Nile Rodgers’ FreakOut! Let’s Dance Festival in Riverhead, LI, on Tuesday, it will be a homecoming with strong historical implications.

“You know what’s crazy?” the Long Island native asks The Post via telephone from his Georgia home. “I did my first gig in November of ’79 with Hank and Keith Shocklee out in Riverhead. I’m going back to where it all started.”

Sharing the bill with a diverse range of acts that includes Chic, Beck, Duran Duran, Keith Urban and Janelle Monáe, the politically minded 55-year-old is most excited about performing tracks from Public Enemy’s latest work, “Man Plans God Laughs.” It’s a full-throated collection of protest songs channeling the righteous anger of such classic P.E. statements as “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back” and “Fear of a Black Planet,” but with a synth-heavy contemporary twist.

“I was inspired by Run the Jewels and Kendrick Lamar,” Chuck explains of the album’s dense, dark feel. “It’s all about moving ahead.”

The Post caught up with Chuck to hear his views on #BlackLivesMatter, how music-streaming services trick the public — and the power of Taylor Swift.

New York Post: Critics have described “Man Plans God Laughs” as Public Enemy’s take on the #BlackLivesMatter movement. Do you agree with that assessment?

Chuck D: There’s a world order going on in front of our faces that tells us none of us really matter here in the United States of America. The album pretty much says it throughout. I’m a citizen of the planet Earth. I’m not subservient to one particular government or religion. I’m a culturalist.

But there’s also vintage Public Enemy fire and brimstone on this album.

No lives matter if every life doesn’t matter. The song “Honky Tonk Rules” is clear: we are under the rules of the wild, wild West. We are tired of getting treated one-sided. What I tried to do . . . is show how a 55-year-old emcee should talk.

I’m like that uncle on the porch. He tells you five or six words and you get it, or you better get it .

Do you feel in competition with your own legacy?

I hear it all the time: “Yo man, you should make another ‘It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back.’ ” But . . . moved that much.

How did you end up involved in the FreakOut! Festival?

Nile told me what he was trying to do and I said I’m down. I’m from Long Island . . . I would walk there if I could.

Are you surprised that Rodgers and his band Chic have yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I think it comes down to people not being knowledgeable on a lot of black music. Chic is beyond definition. They dominated disco, but they weren’t a disco band. They were just a badass group of musicians that transcended disco, funk, rock, pop and rap.

As the creator of the online-radio outlet rap-station.com, you have always been ahead of the curve on the digital-music front. Where do you side on the whole music-streaming debate?

My take is that streaming services have not defined themselves clearly. They are just radio stations, and streaming on demand is just like cable TV, except the powers-that-be are trying to make a revenue model out of it. It really doesn’t amount to much, so how are you going to make this into a real business? By people paying more for subscriptions?

Taylor Swift seems to be a woman of action about this, right?

The technologists and lawyers in the building are always dealing in the long term. They are thinking about the marathon and not the 60-meter dash. And the person that is dominating the 60-meter dash right now is Taylor Swift.

DAT link: http://nypost.com/2015/08/02/public-enemys-chuck-d-is-a-taylor-swift-fan/

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Chuck D talks #BlackLivesMatter, T. Swift, more--NY Post (Murph Swipe) [View all] , murph71, Tue Aug-04-15 08:36 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Don't this sound like Alllivesmatter?
Aug 04th 2015
I didn't get that vibe. At least not in the pejorative sense.
Aug 04th 2015
RE: Don't this sound like Alllivesmatter?
Aug 04th 2015
no, and i dont like when anything other than repeating blacklivesmatter
Aug 04th 2015
RE: no, and i dont like when anything other than repeating blacklivesmat...
Aug 04th 2015
Not at all, actually. Don't see how you got that...
Aug 04th 2015
probably my reading comprehension skills.
Aug 04th 2015
Yes and no, in a strict linguistic sense, maybe, not in a substantive on...
Aug 05th 2015
      RE: Yes and no, in a strict linguistic sense, maybe, not in a substantiv...
Aug 05th 2015
whatever it takes to get white people to read the interview
Aug 04th 2015
RE: whatever it takes to get white people to read the interview
Aug 04th 2015
Good read! you get it, or you better get it <- My favorite quote
Aug 04th 2015
RE: Good read! you get it, or you better get it <- My favorite quote
Aug 04th 2015
Chuck wasn't happy with the title...
Aug 04th 2015
RE: Chuck wasn't happy with the title...
Aug 04th 2015
RE: They are just radio stations
Aug 04th 2015
RE: They are just radio stations
Aug 05th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12870852 Previous topic | Next topic